Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
What's going on everyone,
Over the years I've added quite a few words to the system dictionary that weren't there by default, eg. my name, medical terms for school projects, etc. but when I was younger, I added words that I thought I had spelled correctly into the dictionary, when I really didn't (such as approxiamately instead of approximate). Does anyone know how to reset the system dictionary of all of the words you added, or (even better) how to delete certain words you've added from it?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Click the desktop to bring focus to Finder, then hit shift-command-g and paste ~/Library/Spelling/ in the box, then enter. In that folder you will see a file called LocalDictionary. Open that file with Text Edit and remove whatever words you want then save the file. Logout and back in to reset the Dictionary after this.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Click the desktop to bring focus to Finder, then hit shift-command-g and paste ~/Library/Spelling/ in the box, then enter. In that folder you will see a file called LocalDictionary. Open that file with Text Edit and remove whatever words you want then save the file. Logout and back in to reset the Dictionary after this.

Thanks, I won't be home for 10 or so days but when I can I'll try it out!

David_B

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016
Thank you! 11 years later, on 10.8 this still works like a charm. I googled and tried other suggestions that were far more complicated. This was simple and effective.

Reactions: Weaselboy

SGN

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2018
Thank you! 11 years later, on 10.8 this still works like a charm. I googled and tried other suggestions that were far more complicated. This was simple and effective.

11? honey, it isn't 2024 yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.