Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
My wife forgot her screen time passcode for her iPad. So, from reading online the only way is to erase the device and set up as new — not a problem. But when trying to erase the iPad, it comes out and asks for the screen time passcode!

So, basically the device is a brick.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
One way back is to erase the iPad, connected to your Mac running iTunes.
Set up as a new iPad. If you restore your user files and apps from a backup, you will also include passwords, and the restore process will simply set you up with your (still forgotten) screen time passcode.
You will first need to turn OFF Find My iPad, in the iCloud settings on your Mac.
So, no restore, just erase and reinstall the system from iTunes, and go from there, setting up as a new user.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
One way back is to erase the iPad, connected to your Mac running iTunes.
Set up as a new iPad. If you restore your user files and apps from a backup, you will also include passwords, and the restore process will simply set you up with your (still forgotten) screen time passcode.
You will first need to turn OFF Find My iPad, in the iCloud settings on your Mac.
So, no restore, just erase and reinstall the system from iTunes, and go from there, setting up as a new user.
I don’t think screen time setting is even saved for iCloud backup, let alone passcode. Every time I have to setup a new screen time passcode after restore.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
So, basically, the erase and restore has to be done through iTunes? It cannot be done directly on the device. That is the point.

I’m away from home, and this seems a little challenging for my wife. She has a PC, not a Mac. I guess it’s possible to download iTunes for Windows, but it seems challenging.
[doublepost=1558828075][/doublepost]
Not necessarily. All you have lost is the ability to change screen time settings.
But for your case, you need to go to DFU mode (or recovery mode according to Apple) and do a restore from there. Only latest iTunes can do this. Once done, set up as new or restore from backup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306
OK, the reason I said brick: we only use this device for my daughter to watch video. Since she cannot watch video because of the screen time restriction, it has become a useless device.

Crazy that you have to go through such hoops to reset screen time passcode. I can understand why the device passcode has to be so secure, but a simple screen time passcode...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
OK, the reason I said brick: we only use this device for my daughter to watch video. Since she cannot watch video because of the screen time restriction, it has become a useless device.
:eek::confused:I forgot that user could type passcode to lift screen time limitation for a period.

PC theoretically should also do the job, and procedure is only slightly different from itunes for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.