Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I want to use a new external HD for TM. The old one is two small (1TB)

Can I just remove the old TM backup drive and add the new drive for TM to start from scratch and use the new HD exclusively?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Yes, that will work. Once you get backups working on the new TM drive, then I would recommend going back in the TM Preferences and removing the old TM disk from the TM disk list so it does not start nagging about not doing any backups to the old TM disk.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Or you can just add the new disk to TM to get alternating backup to both disks. Just make sure you have other backups as TM backups tend to fail.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Or you can just add the new disk to TM to get alternating backup to both disks. Just make sure you have other backups as TM backups tend to fail.

I was looking to get rid of the old HD and swap out a new larger capacity one so old to hear I can just add it and it will strt from scratch.

Also how reliable is TM?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Also how reliable is TM?

It isn't. When it works it is great. Multiple times I have tried to do restores and TM failed as it was corrupted. I would never rely on a TM as your only backup. Make sure you have at least 2 other backups - one via something like Carbon Copy Cloner, one in the cloud.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.