Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max xk285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
Hi.

Until a week ago I had a working MacBook Pro, early 2011 with High Sierra and a 250GB SSD.
I make regular backups with TimeMachine.

Last week a lightning struck our house and the fuse went out. My Mac was charging during the event and now it is not turning on anymore. Damn. 12 years of good service... But it looks like the mainboard was fried and I am not sure about the SSD which was inside...

So...l I checked the second hand market and got a rarley used MacBook Pro, mid 2012 with Maverick installed on it for almost nothing.
It has an HDD inside, so I bought a new SSD as well for replacement.

Now... I would like to restore the Backup from TimeMachine onto the new SSD. I am not sure however how to proceed.

Can I just connect the new SSD and the TimeMachine disk to the Mac and restore the backup to the new SSD and then replace the new SSD with the HDD? Will it boot properly?
I am not sure because the TimeMachine backup is a High Sierra OS and the Mac I got is a different Mac model.

Any ideas which steps to take in which order?

Thanks
Max

rorton

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Your Time Machine backup will just be a user data backup, no OS info as such, so you first need to install an operating system, and then restore from your Time Machine backup.

If the OS is already installed, then you can use the migration assistant app in the OS to pull down the data from Time Machine, or if your gonna do a clean install of OSX you will get asked during the install if you want to restore your data from a Time Machine backup.

So... I

Install new disk to Mac
Boot Mac to recovery mode and install OS
Once OS is nearly installed, you will be asked if you want to restore you data from a Time Machine backup, select this option and your data and preferences/settings will get pulled down

Max xk285

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
Thanks for the reply.
In the end I created a bootable USB drive with El Capitan. Then I put the new SSD into my Mac, started up and went into recovery mode, formated the SSD and installed El Capitan and then High Sierra. After that I could pull over the back up from Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.