Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roky_Acid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Berlin
since my fan starts to run like hell despite I have no special app running for 2 weeks now I wonder if it is a program or driver I installed in the last weeks. So I thought it would be an easy solution to restore my system via time machine to one of my older backups.
When I start my MBP, starting my system and start migration assistant I choose the option to restore from time machine. BUT after that I can only choose 1 backup and that is one from today. To fix my problem I want to restore to another date, august in my case from where I have a time machine backup but can't choose this point in time.
Has anyone experience with this issue and can help me to restore my system?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think the problem here is you are trying to migrate data as opposed to restore. Option key boot to the TM disk the erase the internal drive. Then click restore and you should get a screen similar to this. Scroll down to the date you want and select that as the restore point.

The only issue is you will be missing any data between that date the current date.

serveimage.png

Roky_Acid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Berlin
Ah, OK. sounds good. I try at the weekend and let you know. And for my data: all documents are stored in iCloud. When I restore to an older date will my newer documents in iCloud by synching be erased? I always wondered if my computer or iCloud would be "master" in such a case.
Since I have also a pretty actual TM-backup, couldn't I restore or "migrate" my data from that back after setting the system back on the older date?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
iCloud will be the master in this case.

Even if not, after the restore you can always attach the TM drive and browse the Documents folder and restore any missing files.

You never want to migrate after a restore because the migrate will cause all sorts of file permissions problems. Migrate is intended to be used at fresh install startup with no user accounts present.

Reactions: montycat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.