Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Posting this for a friend. All of her text messages disappeared after she restarted her phone this morning. She had a problem with her Snapchat so she restarted the phone. Then they were gone. She has some important stuff in those messages so she really needs to retrieve them. No iTunes backups (I've talked to her about that) but the phone backs up to iCloud every night. Why did this happen and how can she retrieve the messages? I've done some research before posting. A lot of what I found to possibly retrieve them is from outside sources to see products. There should be a fairly easy way to get them back.

Thanks!

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I have to assume she is using iMessage. I have a 7plus. I use iMessage but also have Verizon Message app. I had a similar problem with text in iMessage so I opened Verizon Message and all my texts were still there intact. Apparently the two apps don’t talk to each other as far as syncing. I forwarded the messages I needed to myself and they were back in iMessage.
NOW for why she lost her messages, sorry, I have no idea. Why the Verizon message app keeps all my messages unless I delete them from my Verizon account, I also don’t know but I do know I’m thankful. If your friend is not on Verizon, I’m sure her carrier has their own message app so have her login and check there.
I hope this helps.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
She contacted me later in the day to say they were all back again. Strange...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.