Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbodnar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
UK
I want to give a Mac mini away for a couple of days to someone who would want to play with Mac for the first time. Is there a way to return OS X to a state where you find it straight after fresh OS X installation when Mac needs to be taken through registration process, given name, etc.

I want to install all the accompanying software like iLife'05 and apply all the recent OS and iLife updates and then "reset/deauthorise" OS X so that the new user did not have to install apps and download updates the first thing after powering the Mac up and going online.

If you are familiar with what sysprep does to Windows, that's what I am looking for Mac OS X.

I assume the process should include removing all the user accounts, deleting assigned Mac name and kicking in a registration app at startup.

I just hope one does not need to buy OS X server for that!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
lbodnar said:
I want to give a Mac mini away for a couple of days to someone who would want to play with Mac for the first time. Is there a way to return OS X to a state where you find it straight after fresh OS X installation when Mac needs to be taken through registration process, given name, etc.

I want to install all the accompanying software like iLife'05 and apply all the recent OS and iLife updates and then "reset/deauthorise" OS X so that the new user did not have to install apps and download updates the first thing after powering the Mac up and going online.

If you are familiar with what sysprep does to Windows, that's what I am looking for Mac OS X.

I assume the process should include removing all the user accounts, deleting assigned Mac name and kicking in a registration app at startup.

I just hope one does not need to buy OS X server for that!
I know there's an invisible file called .AppleSetupDone that controls whether or not the setup assistant runs (if it's there, boot normally; if it isn't, run the setup assistant). However, I don't know where it's located, nor can I search for it since I'm not at my Mac right now. Since it's really only a flag file, it's probably VERY small (less than 1 KB).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

That's where it's at. I'm a wee bit afraid to delete it, but that's where you'll find it. It's seen as 0 bytes in size, so it's merely a flag file.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you want a true fresh state, use the Software Installation and Restore media that came with your system. See Apple Knowledge Base article #42929 and if you have DVDs, the process for either of the PowerBooks should be the same as for your MacMini.

This is easier than trying to figure out what you need to delete.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Bear said:
If you want a true fresh state, use the Software Installation and Restore media that came with your system. See Apple Knowledge Base article #42929 and if you have DVDs, the process for either of the PowerBooks should be the same as for your MacMini.
EDIT: This stil won't work because the only way to run this utility is AFTER the Setup Assistant finishes; I've never tried deleting the .AppleSetupDone file to re-run the setup assistant after al the relevant updates have been installed.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wrldwzrd89 said:
EDIT: This stil won't work because the only way to run this utility is AFTER the Setup Assistant finishes; I've never tried deleting the .AppleSetupDone file to re-run the setup assistant after al the relevant updates have been installed.
Ahh true.

Although starting from a fresh state, doing the software installs and updates and then just cleaning up the little bit created is easier than trying to clean up everythig the person might've created already.

Another possibility is for lbodnar to do the OS Install and software restore. And then sit there with the friend while the friend goes through the registration and stuff and let the friend see how the software update works. And if anything else needs to be installed..do it then. Make it a full experience for the friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.