Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I have a MBP with High Sierra.

How do I set up a VM on that machine that also runs High Sierra?

I have no experience with VM's.

Last edited:

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I'm guessing I just buy Parallels and install that?

How do I get the High Sierra OS to install inside that?

Thanks

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
This should be possible with either Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I'm not sure, but it could be that the latest versions might not run on your older host OS (High Sierra), so check on that before you buy. You could probably use an older version if necessary.

I don't know their install procedures but I think they're pretty straightforward. Perhaps they have trial versions.

It is possible to use Oracle Virtualbox, which is free, but I don't recommend it unless you are technically minded and willing to spend time reading up and tinkering to get it working. I have done this, but it is a bit of a hassle.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
This should be possible with either Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I'm not sure, but it could be that the latest versions might not run on your older host OS (High Sierra), so check on that before you buy. You could probably use an older version if necessary.

I don't know their install procedures but I think they're pretty straightforward. Perhaps they have trial versions.

It is possible to use Oracle Virtualbox, which is free, but I don't recommend it unless you are technically minded and willing to spend time reading up and tinkering to get it working. I have done this, but it is a bit of a hassle.
Ok. Will not try Oracle. Parallels seems to pull the MacOS installation files from the recovery directory already on the machine.
I may install that trial version and try it out.
Thanks.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Parallels is pretty painless for running a macOS vm on macOS.

I believe VMware fusion will do it too but I haven’t actually tried (I have current licenses for both for reasons that aren’t relevant here).

just keep in mind that some features aren’t available in the cheaper licenses - usually its stuff like networking features, etc but you may find something you want to use isn’t in the cheap version, so check the comparison page first.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
just keep in mind that some features aren’t available in the cheaper licenses - usually its stuff like networking features, etc but you may find something you want to use isn’t in the cheap version, so check the comparison page first.

Interesting point. I will need the Bluetooth and USB ports to work. Will check that out. Thanks 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.