Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanker400

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Wrapper

Would there be any way that someone could make their working wrapper available somewhere, or a place on the web for me to download a pre made wrapper? I've tried dozens of times to create my own, but without success. I have my original Starcraft CD, but I can't get those darn wrappers to work. Hope someone can help!

15" MacBook Pro (Late 2009)
Running OS X Mavericks
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB Graphics Card

Cutwater

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Awesome, thanks so much for putting this together!

I'm almost there but for some reason I'm running into one little hiccup. When I try to run the program I get a small error: "The application "Starcraft" can't be opened. -10810"

It's weird, because if I do the "show package contents", click wineskin, and hit "Test Run" from the advance menu, the game plays fine.... so I'm at a loss on what I'm doing wrong.

The windows exe is set to: /Program Files/StarCraft/StarCraft.exe ...so I think I'm good there. Any ideas?

Also, is there any way to play this in a windowed mode?

Thanks for all the help!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Awesome, thanks so much for putting this together!

I'm almost there but for some reason I'm running into one little hiccup. When I try to run the program I get a small error: "The application "Starcraft" can't be opened. -10810"

It's weird, because if I do the "show package contents", click wineskin, and hit "Test Run" from the advance menu, the game plays fine.... so I'm at a loss on what I'm doing wrong.

The windows exe is set to: /Program Files/StarCraft/StarCraft.exe ...so I think I'm good there. Any ideas?

Also, is there any way to play this in a windowed mode?

Thanks for all the help!

What you are seeing there is a currently known issue with Wineskin. For now, try logging out and then logging in. The game should start normally then. The developer of Wineskin is aware of this but I don't know if they've had any luck with resolving it yet.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How to run Starcraft Broodwar on OSX 10.8 or later

Doh is pretty quick with this stuff. If they can't fix it right away, a workaround will be released in the form of a new engine or wrapper until a solution is found. Just keep an eye out for updates on his site.

Cutwater

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Hah! Awesome, that totally worked! Again thank you guys for setting this all up, it's great!

I do have one more question... how do I get the editor to run? When I click on it in the main menu it sorta freezes, and then I can move my mouse again normally. When I exit out of the main game, the editor is open but it's sorta stuck up in the top left of my screen and I can't really interact with it at all. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Hah! Awesome, that totally worked! Again thank you guys for setting this all up, it's great!

I do have one more question... how do I get the editor to run? When I click on it in the main menu it sorta freezes, and then I can move my mouse again normally. When I exit out of the main game, the editor is open but it's sorta stuck up in the top left of my screen and I can't really interact with it at all. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Starcraft editor is supposedly troublesome to get running properly in wine. I will look at it when I can, but I'm moving right now so I have an excuse to be lazy.

Cutwater

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Great! No worries, I was just worried I did something wrong through the installation. Thanks for everything!

HGondorff

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
CD Issue

Thanks for a thorough guide!

I'm stuck at the very end, asking me for the CD:

Starcraft is unable to read a required file. Your Starcraft CD may not be in the CDROM drive. Please ensure that the Starcraft disc is in the CDROM drive and press OK. To leave the program, press Exit.

I've followed step 4, installed the patch from blizzard, copied the install.exe files, renamed, etc. I've also tried just my starcraft cd alone, as well as both starcraft and brood war together, with their respective blizzard patches, just in case I could get one to work, but not the other. Neither worked, both attempts asked for the CD when I was finished.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

MacBook Pro, Late 2013
OSX 10.9.1

HGondorff

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
I did not keep the old extension. I changed the filenames to "StarCraft.mpq", and "BroodWar.mpq", respectively. I noticed there is also a file in the folder called "StarCraft.exe". Could that be creating a problem?

Thanks again!

HGondorff

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Ha! You were right! When I looked at the renamed file in the "Get Info" window, the old .EXE extension was still there. Working great now, Thanks!

TheRealHeavyJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Starcraft is unable to read a required file. Your Starcraft CD may not be in the CDROM drive. Please ensure that the Starcraft disc is in the CDROM drive and press OK. To leave the program, press Exit.

I also got this. Then..

When I looked at the renamed file in the "Get Info" window, the old .EXE extension was still there. Working great now, Thanks!

I was able to get it to go. I would suggest adding this little nugget of helpfulness to the OP.
But hey, I am too busy playing SC to care all that much.

Awesome post, thanks!!

Xan Kriegor

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Hey, since you mentioned this hiccup in the original post:

I cheated here and just pulled the files with an old Linux machine. If someone here can figure out how to do this within OSX, PLEASE post it in the comments. I can’t make it work.​

I thought I would add. Longform instructions on doing this are here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080708145453136

Condensed version for this specific application:

• enter the relevant Starcraft disc
  • unmount it in the terminal via sudo umount [name of disc] which will remove the unwanted "mac" version of the disc from the filesystem without actually ejecting the disc. Name of disc may need to be in quotations if it has spaces. For example sudo umount "Brood War CD". You will need to enter your password to authorize this, since the effect of the command is system-wide.
  • enter mount by itself to reveal which device the disc actually is, for example, /dev/disk2 in my case
  • enter mkdir /Volumes/Starcraft.win or whatever this one-time mount point should be called. This makes an 'empty' mount point with no filesystem in it.
  • enter mount_cd9660 -er [the device you discovered in step 3] [the new mount point]. For example, my command was mount_cd9660 -er /dev/disk2 "/Volumes/Brood War CD.win"

The windows filesystem should appear. The system is essentially manually being told (by the use of the command mount_cd9660 specifically) to use the ISO9660 filesystem instead of OSX's preferred HFS filesystem, which it automatically prioritizes over ISO9660. Hope that helps.

iDr0id

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks heaps for the instructions!
Downloaded the StarCraft anthology and got it going on my rMPB with Mavericks. I somehow managed to never play StarCraft over the years, it's good to be able to finally get around to it on my Mac.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The wrapper would contain the app, which would be piracy. We can't do that.

You can remove the game from the wrapper and share the wrapper.... this is done all the time. The wrapper is then ready to go... the person just runs the game installer with the wrapper, then plays.

Qunon

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
Help!!

I've tried this 3 times and get the same results. After the install the game lags a lot. After I finish and try to run the game all i receive is a box asking if i'm sure I want to uninstall!

Any help here would be great

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Make sure you made the appropriate changes to the registry. That will resolve the lags.

----------

Doh, do you know a place I should share the wrapper or of a sort if I stalled method that let's the user just drop a file in to the wrapper?

iDr0id

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
After I finish and try to run the game all i receive is a box asking if i'm sure I want to uninstall!

I had the same problem, your wrapper is probably pointing to the uninstall.exe you just need to update it to use the star craft exe.

And as mentaluproar said making the registry changes should fix the lag issues.

Qunon

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
Thanks!

Idroid that's what the problem was as soon as i redirected the wrapper to the correct .exe file everything started working.

johnboiles

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Mount ISO

Thanks so much to mentaluproar for this excellent guide!

I have my Starcraft CDs (and most of my old CDs) in ISO form since my rMBP doesn't have a CD drive. To mount the windows part of an ISO you can do the following.

1. Mount the ISO image by double clicking it
2. Create a mountpoint directory under /Volumes
Code:
mkdir /Volumes/Starcraft\ CD.win
3. Run mount to find the mounted disk for the image (/dev/disk1 for example)
Code:
mount
4. Mount the windows part of the disk using
Code:
mount_cd9660 -er /dev/disk1 /Volumes/Starcraft\ CD.win

You can then access the windows portion of the ISO in finder.

Please don't use this for piracy. Seriously man up and pay the $10 or whatever it costs these days for this excellent game.

----------

If you attempt to switch tasks (cmd+tab), the game will shrink to its native resolution on your mac's normal resolution. While the game will still work, you will not be able to fullscreen it again until you relaunch it.

When you're in this state, you can click the window for Starcraft and press Command+Option+A and the game will go back to full screen without relaunching the game!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'm going to try reading the windows part of the cd as you described and if I can do that without creating an ISO, I will fold that in. Thanks.

As for the full screen fix, I wonder if there is a way to script that to occur under certain conditions by itself.

Last edited:

max7patek

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
Still getting "no disc" error.

I clicked "show package contents" and went went to drive_c/Program Files/Starcraft/. Then I renamed both the starcraft and brood war install.exe files and dragged them to the starcraft folder. Then the guide says to exit the wrapper, but I didn't have it open; Have I done something wrong? because it's still telling me it can't find the files and the disc may not be in the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.