Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brothman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2018
I was using an Android phone before and I switched back to iPhone (which I used to use before the Android) and I cannot seem to find a feature that allows me to schedule a text message to be sent at a certain time which was a functionality that I used on the Android multiple times every day.
I found two "solutions" but neither of them is ok with me:

1. The Scheduled App. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/scheduled-app/id1145815975
They claim that for $3.95 per month they will do this for me. I will not pay for this basic functionality. I already paid quite a lot for the phone, now I am just trying to use it in a useful way.

2. This shortcuts app extension https://usa.inquirer.net/37256/iphone-lets-you-schedule-your-imessage-to-be-sent-later
This just plain does not work unless I keep the phone unlocked and the shortcuts app in the foreground which means I cannot do anything else while I wait which defeats the whole purpose.

Has anyone found a way to schedule text messages to be sent later that works and does not cost extra money or cause great inconvenience? I was so disappointed when I found this issue and I am hoping that I just overlooked something important.

I know an automation can ALMOST do this, but the phone still asks me for confirmation before sending the text.. The automation idea is not terrible but I am just hoping there is a way to bypass the need for permission so the message will send 100% behind-the-scenes.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe some carriers offer messaging apps that might support something like that.

Also something along those lines might be possible using the Shortcuts app (and perhaps some automation features in it).

brothman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2018
YES your second solution is the answer for me. Automations are the answer to this issue for now, but hopefully after the current ios 13 there will be a solution built into messages or something that does this more efficiently and is easier to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.