Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesdean74

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Due to financial issues, I am forced to sell my 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 AT&T model. My question is how do I resell it and remove my AT&T account from the embedded sim so the new owner isn't using my account? Thanks in advance for any help. It was purchased from AT&T store so it is locked to AT&T I believe?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I LOST my T-Mobile and Sprint accounts simply by restoring the iPad. For some reason, the embedded sim doesn't remember your account info once you restore.

This happened two different times when I restored the iPad, both times, I lost my Sprint and T-Mobile accounts on the iPad. Literally. T-Mobile and Sprint did not know how to reactivate the iPad or how to even look it up in their system.

Apparently, once you restore the iPad, the embedded sim is given a new number so this is why any accounts associated with the iPad before restoring are then wiped out once you do restore.

It could be different with AT&T though. I haven't tried AT&T on my iPad because as you may or may not know, the embedded sim would then be locked to AT&T and to change to a different carrier, I would need Apple to change out the embedded sim.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Have you tried doing an erase and restore and "set up as new." Then go back into the cellular settings and see if your ATT account populates or you have to punch in your UID and PW again?

Other than that I would think you'd have to contact ATT if it's on contract.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I LOST my T-Mobile and Sprint accounts simply by restoring the iPad. For some reason, the embedded sim doesn't remember your account info once you restore.

This happened two different times when I restored the iPad, both times, I lost my Sprint and T-Mobile accounts on the iPad. Literally. T-Mobile and Sprint did not know how to reactivate the iPad or how to even look it up in their system.

Apparently, once you restore the iPad, the embedded sim is given a new number so this is why any accounts associated with the iPad before restoring are then wiped out once you do restore.

It could be different with AT&T though. I haven't tried AT&T on my iPad because as you may or may not know, the embedded sim would then be locked to AT&T and to change to a different carrier, I would need Apple to change out the embedded sim.
It is the same on AT&T. I did a full erase and it wiped my imbedded SIM. Nothing would allow it to be activated again. Even replacing the iPad didn't work. I had to settle for a regular SIM.

I clicked on this thread as I'm looking to sell my 9.7 and wanted to make sure I knew what I needed to do once it sold.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It is the same on AT&T. I did a full erase and it wiped my imbedded SIM. Nothing would allow it to be activated again. Even replacing the iPad didn't work. I had to settle for a regular SIM.

I clicked on this thread as I'm looking to sell my 9.7 and wanted to make sure I knew what I needed to do once it sold.
With T-Mobile and Sprint, I was able to use the same embedded sim but I had to create a new account losing the 10GB I got for $10 on T-Mobile that I never even had a chance to use.

Anyways, for those two carriers at least, you can start fresh as in the OPs case of wanting to sell the iPad but with AT&T then, the embedded sim needs to be replaced to use it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.