Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDpowers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

I have water damage on my 13" MacBook Air. When I went to Apple, of course the cost to fix it is more than the cost of a new one. I want to sell it on eBay, but I have no idea how to go about it. I never sold anything on eBay before and I heard about scammers. I want to avoid them.

My laptop is still working. When I first spilled water on it, I immediately closed it and left it alone for a 3 days. I then came back to press the power off bottom and left it for a few more days before turning it on. It still turn on. It can still charge. The audio is good. All the lights are on etc. I am experiencing 2 problems.

1. Some of the keys (X,M,>,J,K,L,U,I,O,7,8,9) aren't working.
2. The computer is slow.

Besides those issues, it's working fine. I don't know how sever of a damage that is. Other problems are small aesthetic flaws like dents and scratches.

How do I go about selling them? What should the title (I don't know if that's the correct word for it) be? How much do you think I could sell it for. Would I be better of selling the computer or sell it in parts?

General info:
MacBook Air (13-inches, Early 2015)
Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
Serial Number C1MST1GMH3QF

Your answer is greatly appreciated.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I have seen water damaged MacBook Airs go for $75 to $100 on eBay.

In fact I have purchased a few from eBay that way then rebuilt them getting replacement parts from either on eBay or at ifixit.com web site.

My 2015 13inch MBA is a rebuilt example from a MacBook Air that had wayer damage I purchased from eBay for $75.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Dead Air's go for $100. This one works. Early 2015 Air with issues is about $150-$175 around here. Swapping the keyboard isn't super hard on an air and isn't super pricey with eBay parts. Forget scam-bay, just stick it on Facebook marketplace and it'll sell locally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.