Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I don't want to turn off the location data for the camera app, because I like the auto geotagging function to tag where my photos are taken. This definitely helpful when using the Photos.app in macOS. But one thing I would like is for it to strip that location data before I send/share the photo through imessage, mail, airdrop, etc. I wish this process was automated. I just performed a test by taking a photo and then sending it to my friends computer. The location data is still there unless I turn off camera access to location data under settings > privacy > location. This sucks because now whenever I share photos, I have to somehow manually clear out that location data thats embedded into the file.

Is there a setting or something that makes stripping the location data an automated process so that I can continue to keep the geotagging function on while also having some privacy when sending or uploading those images elsewhere?

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I don't think there is, you will have to chose one of the many iOS apps that can remove metadata. I use Metapho (with IAP).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.