Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Hi

I have two iMacs in one room. They are both connected to the Internet using TimeCapsule. One is mine, another one is my friend's.

Question: Let's say I have found a nice website and I want to tell URL to my friend who is sitting on the other iMac. What is the most efficient way of sharing URLs between two MACs???

1. Saving a webpage and dropping it on his desktop (using Finder) seems to be too cumbersome.

2. Emailing the link to him or instant messaging it using Adium seems to be a bit weird considering he is only 3 metres away.

Is there maybe some programme or feature in OS X that allows URLs to be shared easily, quickly without sending it across the whole Internet (like with Adium)?

Maybe someone will take the view that using Adium is the quickest and most efficient way? In this case, please say so.

Help much appreciated.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
We use iChat Bonjour for sending links and files, and of course texting and vid conferencing. Can't get any easier than that.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Adium also supports Bonjour. You can add a Bonjour account in the preferences, but the benefit of Bonjour is that it will automatically detect anyone else on the network, not to make a conversation with a known contact more effective. It will be sent only over your local network rather than the "whole Internet", but the effect is essentially the same, just slightly faster.

Is it hard to click a link in a conversation window? I can't really think of a faster way to do it. You could try shared desktops if you want to browse "together"...

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Macintosh is not an acronym. Sorry for being anal but it makes you look like you have no idea what you are doing when you say "MAC".

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks to all for helpful responses, please clarify the following:

1. Les Kern: I have checked the iChat programme that came with OS X but it seems it does not support (local) Bonjour communication. "iChat - An instant messaging program that comes with Mac OS X. Using the iChat program, you can exchange messages with MobileMe members as well as people using other instant messenging software such as AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), Google Talk, and Jabber."

Please clarify what you mean by iChat Bonjour and how to set it up - is this a better preference to using Adium Bonjour account?

2. econoline06: Thank you for being anal, it helps others to improve. How would you refer to it, other than calling it a Mac? You can't really say I have got one PC and my friend has another..? Because PC is not a MAC, so I say I have got a MAC and so does he. I thought MAC is a generic name for a "apple computer"?

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
2. econoline06: Thank you for being anal, it helps others to improve. How would you refer to it, other than calling it a Mac? You can't really say I have got one PC and my friend has another..? Because PC is not a MAC, so I say I have got a MAC and so does he. I thought MAC is a generic name for a "apple computer"?

A MAC address ("MAC") is the hardware address of a networking device. "Mac" is short for Macintosh...

Actually, from the title of your thread I was thinking that you knew only the MAC address of the computer you wanted to send a link to ;-)

aquasky

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Thank you for the explanations. It's all clear to me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.