Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexandranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Hello everyone, I wanna set my newst 27inch iMac as the monitor of my dell laptop, I connector the two with the thunderbolt3 wire, but nothing happens. Command+F2 doesn't work also, some articles say the new iMac won't support as External monitor, I wonder whether there is method to implement that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't believe new iMacs can do "target display mode" any more, even with Macs.
I could be wrong.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Hello everyone, I wanna set my newst 27inch iMac as the monitor of my dell laptop
You can't. Sorry.
27" Imacs haven't been able to work as external displays since they went to 5k resolution.

You might be able to use something like Microsoft Remote Desktop (in the App store) to access the PC from your iMac - but that's not quite the same thing.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello everyone, I wanna set my newst 27inch iMac as the monitor of my dell laptop, I connector the two with the thunderbolt3 wire, but nothing happens. Command+F2 doesn't work also, some articles say the new iMac won't support as External monitor, I wonder whether there is method to implement that.

Try the Air Server apps (free trial for 30 days)
Direct connection won't work.
Indirect connection(via LAN) may work, but it will be laggy.

rexandranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Thank you all, I really hope new iMac could support target display in the futhure, or it is so pitty being so wonderful monitor only for itself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.