Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maanikko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
I got from my friend an iPhone 12 for free because the physical SIM card slot got broken. The phone supports eSIM but you can't activate it bacause the "Cellular" setting is disabled without physical SIM card. How do I get around that?

• Could I use Another iPhone with a Functional SIM Slot?
  • Could I use Apple Configurator to configure eSIM profile?
  • Could I jailbreak the iPhone and that way to activate the eSIm and if I can how do I that after I have jailbreaked it?
Or is there a simpler way?

Thank for all your answers.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You don’t need a physical SIM to set up an eSIM. Just go to your carrier store. They will help you install the eSIM. It’s all done over the air.

Or try Settings > Cellular > Add eSIM

Reactions: maanikko

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Don't know where you live but in many countries, if you have a valid subscription/pre paid, you can login to your account and order an eSim. It takes hardly 5 minutes for the whole process

maanikko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
You don’t need a physical SIM to set up an eSIM. Just go to your carrier store. They will help you install the eSIM. It’s all done over the air.

Or try Settings > Cellular > Add eSIM
I went to Apple Store and I they said they can't do anything. And as I said setting "Cellular" is disabled bacause I don't have physical SIM card, it's grayed out.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Strange. You mean you can’t select mobile services in settings?

Make sure that your phone is updated to the latest version. If you can, reset it from a Mac or PC.

Last edited:

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
You have to be on Wi-Fi to activate cellular. But make sure your carrier has the new IMEI number because the EID number will auto populate and that will allow for quick activation. That has to be updated with your carrier first then you can set up cellular when in Wi-Fi. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.