Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I have an ecobee3 Smart Thermostat, which support HomeKit. I did the HomeKit setup through the app, setup the Keychain iCloud (required) and everything work. I can control the thermostat using Siri.

However, I want to allow my family to use the Thermostat with HomeKit. Currently, they cannot do so. Googling this issue point to "adding user" to the device's app, but ecobee3 have no such option.

Anyone have the same thermostat and know how to do this?

PS: I also have the Philips Hue and plan to upgrade the bridge for HomeKit integration. But if there is no way to add additional user to the HomeKit infrastructure, I may not buy the upgraded bridge.

arijaycomet

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio - USA
Your thread is about a month old, but as nobody replied to it here and others may have the same question, I'll provide the answer now.
  1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Scroll down to the HomeKit option and select it.
  3. Tap on your home.
  4. Tap Invite People.
This feature was added (I believe it was iOS 9.x) that was not there prior. Some HomeKit apps (such as Ecobee, or Hue) did not include this feature initially. Other apps, like Elgato Eve, did. However Apple decided to take the control to the Settings page, which is easier and smarter. From there you can also revoke access at a later date.

We've tested this and my wife has full access to the HomeKit data, able to control the thermostat, set scenes, turn on/off lights, and so forth. You should find this resolves your issue perfectly and allows sharing control of any HomeKit devices you have now, or add down the road. You don't have to re-add or do anything-- the moment you add more devices, other users will gain instant access as well. Cheers!

Reactions: striders

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Your thread is about a month old, but as nobody replied to it here and others may have the same question, I'll provide the answer now.
  1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Scroll down to the HomeKit option and select it.
  3. Tap on your home.
  4. Tap Invite People.
Thanks for this! I'll try it out.

PS: Tapatalk didn't notify me of new replies, so I didn't see this until just now. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.