Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hess844383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
My company provided me an iPhone SE, which is great!

But all my family members have Android phones.

How can I share my location with them?

So far I tried:
- I have my own iCloud account, using the iPhone SE as mentioned, ok. Additionally, registered an iCloud account with my wifes gmail address. Then I enabled location sharing with my wifes gmail address. I logged in to the iCloud via a webbrowser with my wifes account, but I cannot find any "find friends/family", etc. option there. What am I missing?

Or is it impossible to use the location sharing, unless there are 2 iPhones?

I don't want to use 3rd party location sharing softwares for obvious security reasons.

Many thanks.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
You can share location using WhatsApp which doesn’t matter if you are on iOS or Android

hess844383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks, but I am searching for continous location sharing, so not that I can have a feature to send one-time location.

There is no solution using Apple software? 3rd party has to be involved?

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks, but I am searching for continous location sharing, so not that I can have a feature to send one-time location.

There is no solution using Apple software? 3rd party has to be involved?
Why don’t you just hire a private investigator to follow your wife about?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Google Maps
6c0e5bd8357569fa989ea22cf3896a9a.jpg

6f4b38a45667be34d3df271e39bafc58.jpg

hess844383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Google maps looks great.

Will test it on next week when we are at not home :)

Next feature would be to have a notification when any of us leave from work, so going home, so we don't need to text each other, rather it would happen automatically :)

Thanks!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Google maps looks great.

Will test it on next week when we are at not home :)

Next feature would be to have a notification when any of us leave from work, so going home, so we don't need to text each other, rather it would happen automatically :)

Thanks!
Having the GPS location on all the time (for this purpose) will cause a big battery drain.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Check out the Life360 app for Android and iOS. You can set up geofences and label them so when they leave or arrive, it notifies you. It also has a panic button so if someone is in trouble, all members of the group will get an alert and the senders GPS location. It also has group chat.

Reactions: Breezygirl

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Google Maps does this with location sharing.

Back when I played Ingress a lot we used Glympse -- great for iOS and Android - but uses a bit of battery. But this is more for like events where you need to know a lot of people's location. Use Google Maps for iOS like location sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.