Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
While this is not strictly PPC problem but rather common to old OS, I guess I have higher chances to get a reply here.

After iOS 15.3.1 update iPhone hotspot began to be detected on 10.6 and lower as 802.1x network, and Mac consequently asks for Username/Password, while in reality of course no Username exists.

Any chance to fix that somehow?

P. S. I asked in iOS forum, but to no avail: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-802-1x.2337317/?post=30920857#post-30920857

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wonder if jailbreaking an iOS device opens up further possibilities with regards to tethering.
Yes, yes it does.

One of the features of TetherMe (which I used to use) was the ability to set a user and password (IIRC). You could also reverse tether. I.e., the computer (which had a connection) could tether to the device and share its connection to the device. You could also change APNs.

My last serious jailbreak though was late 2015 for iOS 9.0.1. All jailbreaks since that time are semi-untethered (which means you need a computer every once in a while to keep the jailbreak going). So, what tweaks are available now and what features they have I can't speak to.

PS. Jailbreaking also requires you to be on the right device and the right firmware. That hasn't changed.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
This is not something that would be practical out and about and also a bit far-fetched, but what if you used a Raspberry Pi (Raspberry Pi OS connects to hotspot) and then set it up to use the Ethernet port to output an internet signal to the Mac? Just a thought.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
This is not something that would be practical out and about and also a bit far-fetched, but what if you used a Raspberry Pi (Raspberry Pi OS connects to hotspot) and then set it up to use the Ethernet port to output an internet signal to the Mac? Just a thought.
You might as well use a WiFi-to-ethernet bridge then :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tensixturtle

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@Amethyst1 good point, and I’m surprised to see the relatively lower price of the bridge! My mind was thinking about the Raspberry Pi because I happen to have one that I might use if I was personally in this situation.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.