Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi,

Short stroking a hard drive is creating two partitions and then only using the first one which is on the outer edge of the platter. This allows faster read/write speeds at the expense of storage space.

I want to divide my 2TB disk into a 1.5 TB HFS+ partion, and a 500GB unformatted space. Is there a way to do with Disk Utility or the command line? Obviously short stroking still works with the 500GB as HFS+ too, but it would be annoying for it to automount every time.

Disk Utility seems to want to force each partition to have a format.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I am sure you can do what you want at the command line, though I have never done this.

First read man diskutil with particular reference to the partitionDisk verb. To paraphrase, it says that if you create n partitions (in your case 2), you must specify the format (as well as size and name) for each partition.

But it also says "You can specify a format of Free Space to skip an area of the disk". That would seem to be the way for you to proceed. I am guessing that Free Space needs to be written as "Free Space".

You can experiment with an empty disk so long as you make sure you reference the right disk!

Have you done tests to determine the appropriate short stroke size for your particular disk? I understand that this needs to be measured as it will vary depending on the architecture of the specific drive model.

Last edited:

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks, very helpful. I will give that a go.

I did an experiment with 10 partitions on a 2 TB disk, and the speed dropped from 130mbps on the 1st to 60 mbps on the 10th. So it drops off across the disk in a close to linear fashion.

Actually I am not doing this to run an operating system, but for cold data storage that I will refer to occasionally.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Why not just use an SSD instead? Even the cheapest 2TB SSD would be faster than an HDD and the speed would be constant over the whole drive.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks, very helpful. I will give that a go.

I did an experiment with 10 partitions on a 2 TB disk, and the speed dropped from 130mbps on the 1st to 60 mbps on the 10th. So it drops off across the disk in a close to linear fashion.

Actually I am not doing this to run an operating system, but for cold data storage that I will refer to occasionally.
Does cold data storage need to be accessed at more than 60 MB/s? I suppose if you ever full up a fast partition, you can always setup the next fastest partition.

You can try iPartition.app. It's unsupported but free. It can do anything except APFS. For APFS, you can use iPartition to create the partition as HFS+, then use Disk Utility.app to erase it as APFS. iPartition.app can add, delete, shrink, expand, and move partitions.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Why not just use an SSD instead? Even the cheapest 2TB SSD would be faster than an HDD and the speed would be constant over the whole drive.
data corruption possible if left on a shelf for a few months. I like to mix data backup options, and on-site/offsite.

Does cold data storage need to be accessed at more than 60 MB/s? I suppose if you ever full up a fast partition, you can always setup the next fastest partition.

You can try iPartition.app. It's unsupported but free. It can do anything except APFS. For APFS, you can use iPartition to create the partition as HFS+, then use Disk Utility.app to erase it as APFS. iPartition.app can add, delete, shrink, expand, and move partitions.

Is iPartition a GUI for diskutil commands? Otherwise I am not sure how compatible it is with Ventura.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Why does the "second" (unused) partition have to be un-formatted?
Why not create a second partition formatted HFS+... and then just leave it... "un-used"?

Or, perhaps just use it as "scratch space" -- store files on it that you rarely access and don't care if they're lost or not...?

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Why does the "second" (unused) partition have to be un-formatted?
Why not create a second partition formatted HFS+... and then just leave it... "un-used"?

Or, perhaps just use it as "scratch space" -- store files on it that you rarely access and don't care if they're lost or not...?

It doesn't have to be. Performance is the same. It's just a bit more messy having it mounted each time.

Speed drops off to as low as 30 mbps I've seen on some modern hard drives at the centre of the platters. So short stroking definitely helps make HDDs at least a little more acceptable speed-wise.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
don’t think it’s worth the trouble for something that goes into storage for months. for a modern 2tb drive, i’m betting that is using SMR platters so write speed will drop like a rock (e.g. a few MB per second) as soon as the CMR cache is filled and the drive starts thrashing to move the data onto the SMR tracks. (only 8tb WD or seagate 10tb and higher are guaranteed to be the traditional CMR drive everyone is used to)

Reactions: gilby101

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Yes it is SMR. Actually providing you use HFS+ and short-stroking, write speeds are very decent. I'm sure there might be spikes down to a few mbps but average speeds are higher than some older CMR drives I had. Remember SMR have higher density platters (1TB on a single platter) so the head needs to move less for reading the same amount of data as a CMR.

Also, if a SMR has been heavily used its best to wipe it and write zeros across the whole disk to trigger TRIM in the firmware. But for a backup with not too much file churn you might never need to do that.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
data corruption possible if left on a shelf for a few months. I like to mix data backup options, and on-site/offsite.

Slightly off topic, but SSD data corruption after 'left on a shelf for a few months' is an unfounded assumption. What source did provide you with that information (if any)?

https://www.easeus.com/resource/does-ssd-need-power.html#:~:text=Overall, if SSD is not getting power for,power supply for around 15 to 20 years.

Quote from the link above:

Overall, if SSD is not getting power for several years, it may lose data. According to research, an SSD can retain your data for a minimum of 2-5 Years without any power supply. Some SSD manufacturers also claim that SSD can save data without a regular power supply for around 15 to 20 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Yes it is SMR. Actually providing you use HFS+ and short-stroking, write speeds are very decent. I'm sure there might be spikes down to a few mbps but average speeds are higher than some older CMR drives I had. Remember SMR have higher density platters (1TB on a single platter) so the head needs to move less for reading the same amount of data as a CMR.

Also, if a SMR has been heavily used its best to wipe it and write zeros across the whole disk to trigger TRIM in the firmware. But for a backup with not too much file churn you might never need to do that.
It's still a YMMV though and depends on what kind of files are being sent to it. The first write generally goes ok. Things go to hell when you start re-writing data - especially smaller ones - which is often the case with backups. More recent firmware are better masking the issues better but it's still there. For very large files it worked fine for me but as soon as I started writing smaller files like photos, the whole thing started struggling. This was with a 4TB drive which I presume has a larger CMR zone.

I also did a full erase and that also took a long time to run. At the end of the day, I was just spending more time messing around with "hacks" to get around the SMR issues so any perceived higher speeds from higher density was quickly lost. A 8TB CMR drive would likely run circles around a 2TB SMR even in the inner tracks and do so consistently.

If you truly must short stroke, I just partition it in windows, format the first NTFS partition to HFS in macOS (don't put any data yet), then remove the 2nd NTFS partition in Windows. Go back to macOS and make sure the remaining HFS is still readable. If it is, you're good to go.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Slightly off topic, but SSD data corruption after 'left on a shelf for a few months' is an unfounded assumption. What source did provide you with that information (if any)?

https://www.easeus.com/resource/does-ssd-need-power.html#:~:text=Overall, if SSD is not getting power for,power supply for around 15 to 20 years.

Quote from the link above:

Overall, if SSD is not getting power for several years, it may lose data. According to research, an SSD can retain your data for a minimum of 2-5 Years without any power supply. Some SSD manufacturers also claim that SSD can save data without a regular power supply for around 15 to 20 years.

What I've read there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this topic. The manufacturers certainly aren't making any claims about cold storage. This in particular stood out:

SLC: effectively forever
MLC: a few years
TLC: a few months to a year
QLC: a month or so

The first write generally goes ok. Things go to hell when you start re-writing data - especially smaller ones - which is often the case with backups.

Ok well I guess I will have to see. TBH I invested in a couple of 2TB portable external HDDs before I knew about the SMR/CMR issue. So I'm just trying to make the best of what I already have.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What source did provide you with that information (if any)?

Reliability is certainly improving, but there are lots of sources discussing cell leakage and the unreliability of long term SSD storage, including Wikipedia. The article you quoted mentions 2-5 years. I wouldn't trust the longer manufacturer numbers as of yet.

Here's one report of problems occurring after 3 years:

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Reliability is certainly improving, but there are lots of sources discussing cell leakage and the unreliability of long term SSD storage, including Wikipedia. The article you quoted mentions 2-5 years. I wouldn't trust the longer manufacturer numbers as of yet.

Here's one report of problems occurring after 3 years:

Thanks for the info. I agree with you that the longer manufacturer numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Your link is to a forum with a post claiming data corruption of some files after >3 years (which falls within the 2-5 years expectation), but the OP claims data corruption after 'a month or a view months'. I have never seen/heard that before. Also I could not find sources about the OP's claim.

Last edited:

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
TLC: a few months to a year
QLC: a month or so

As I asked before, can you provide a source/link to these? I have never seen values of months in all the information I have encountered about SSDs. From what I understand the general consensus is 2-5 years without power (also for TLC and QLC assuming the SSD is stored under normal circumstances/temperatures).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.