Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggimage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I'm looking to efficiently see each folder's content from its thumbnail, unfortunately Finder doesn't seem to offer this option. You can only enable thumbnails for individual files, but not folders.

I have some massive image asset folders which I need to be able to find the suitable images I need as quickly as possible every single time. I've properly named and grouped and labeled them, but not only is it impossible to glance through whole page's keywords in long filenames in just a couple seconds like you could do with visual cues from thumbnails, there are visuals that have lots attributes that are hard to accurately describe in just a few words.

is there a workaround to get folders to show a preview thumbnail, or a different file management app as an alternative to Finder?
thanks

Reactions: motulist

eggimage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011

Attachments

• img 000.jpg
    img 000.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: motulist

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It looks like you want a custom icon on a folder. The icon appears to be from a single image in the folder, not a composite or combination of multiple images.

See here for how to do that manually:

I'm not aware of a way to do that automatically. Maybe an Automator workflow could do it, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: eggimage

eggimage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
It looks like you want a custom icon on a folder. The icon appears to be from a single image in the folder, not a composite or combination of multiple images.

See here for how to do that manually:

I'm not aware of a way to do that automatically. Maybe an Automator workflow could do it, but I'm not sure.
Thanks, I may have to do it manually and painstakingly..

but this give you only one picture in the folder icon… maybe a DAM like RAWPower is a better choice? Aaanyway: you can use e.g. the free image2icon.
yea looks like I've got to look for other asset managers for workarounds. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.