Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I didn’t think this was a specific iOS or MacOS question and figured I cannot be the only individual within the MacRumors community from experiencing this so here goes:

Gmail has never giving me problems and in the past 12 years have yet to see a spam email creep into my inbox. Apple Mail however gives me problems in that every morning I wake up to at least 3 emails for growth enlargement pill, free cable tv subscriptions and even how to meet the cast of Shark Tank spam emails every morning, for the past 8 years since I signed up for an iCloud email. I have tried to click on the bottom of the email to ‘unsubscribe’ and it’ll take me to a shady looking URL that may be fake just to collect my email and I’ll put down my iCloud email address to stop receiving spam emails from them but I always get the same response that states ‘your email does not exist in our system.’

I don’t necessarily wish to delete my Apple Mail and iCloud email from my Apple devices so am wondering here if anyone knows how to remedy this. Gmail is wonderful and has been for years but Apple Mail is laughable as I end up with these fake spam emails daily and moving each one individually to the spam folder doesn’t seem to do anything.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
One way around it is to create a rule such as

If Message has Subject Containing "Male Enhancement" Move to Folder Trash.

You can create separate rules for "Shark Tank" "Growth Enlargement" and any other frequently annoying terms you receive. I have done the same for "Keto" because I don't care if I never see another email about "Keto" supplements. A couple others I have are "Flat Belly Diet" and "Dr. Gundry" whatever the heck they are.

You can similarly use "Message Content" rules. If any message content contains "Male Enhancement" move to folder Trash

Reactions: Weaselboy

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't get spam mails in my actual Apple-related email account (dot Mac) but because I use Apple Mail as my email client on the computer I do get spam and junk that come into my other (non-Apple) email accounts that also come into that email client. Many of them Apple Mail automatically discards right into the Spam/junk folder but those that aren't I can, as has already been mentioned, set up a "rule" in the email client to deal with such junk, or of course mark an offending email as junk. My Gmail account, which I view only as webmail rather than include it as an email client on my actual computer, IS much better at sifting through the spam and the junk mail but even it slips up every now and then. Periodically I go into the servers for my other accounts and clean house, too, and that seems to help, if only for a short while.

As far as privacy is concerned, I prefer to keep certain accounts (particularly any connected to financial institutions) away from Gmail -- otherwise I'd be tempted to just use it for all of my email since it IS so much better at nailing the spam and junk mail straightaway.

Reactions: SDColorado

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
....I have tried to click on the bottom of the email to ‘unsubscribe’ and it’ll take me to a shady looking URL that may be fake just to collect my email and I’ll put down my iCloud email address to stop receiving spam emails from them but I always get the same response that states ‘your email does not exist in our system.’

Never worth doing this; all you are doing is confirming that its still a live email account and encouraging the sender to share your address with other junk senders

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Never worth doing this; all you are doing is confirming that its still a live email account and encouraging the sender to share your address with other junk senders

At least not with "those types" of emails. I think sometimes you end up on the list of a legitimate company, because you signed up at one time and changed your mind or purchased something at one time. But unsolicited junk emails of a certain nature are never worth trying to unsubscribe from. It is the equivalent of opening the door for a solicitor and then trying to claim that nobody lives here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.