Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
I don't know what changed, but suddenly when I open a folder in Finder, it opens a new tab. So as I drill down to a deep folder tree, I end up with 10+ tabs.

This is annoying. But I can't find a setting any where to turn this off. Any ideas? Thanks

Ventura 13.5.2

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I don't know what changed, but suddenly when I open a folder in Finder, it opens a new tab. So as I drill down to a deep folder tree, I end up with 10+ tabs.

This is annoying. But I can't find a setting any where to turn this off. Any ideas? Thanks

Ventura 13.5.2
(I hope it is) Finder > Preferences > General > Uncheck the box ”Open folders in tabs instead of new windows”.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
(I hope it is) Finder > Preferences > General > Uncheck the box ”Open folders in tabs instead of new windows”.
Thanks. But now it spawns a new window when I double click a folder. That's even more clutter

:(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Not sure if I am understanding the "problem" here.
You double-click on a folder to open the folder.
That would, as the expected result, open that folder in a new window.
What exactly do you want that to do, instead of opening the folder in a window?

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
Not sure if I am understanding the "problem" here.
You double-click on a folder to open the folder.
That would, as the expected result, open that folder in a new window.
What exactly do you want that to do, instead of opening the folder in a window?
Open it in the existing window/tab

You know, like your Web browser. When you click on a link, it just opens in the same tab, replacing the current page. Unless you option click or right click and choose open in new tab/ new window

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, OK. Did not get it at first, but that works for me (double-click on a folder in an existing window, opens the folder, replacing what is currently in the window.)
Using current Ventura 13.6 beta, on OCLP.

Sammler

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2019
Ventura 13.5.1 . had the problem exactly as you stated. Changing the VIEW menu selection to NOT OPEN IN NEW TAB was ineffective, still opening a an additional tab,.
WORK AROUND. appears to be clean and simple. Single click on the second folder you wish to open in a NEW WINDOW. The new folder is highlighted. FINDER - FILE MENU - First Option is NEW FINDER Window or Option-Command-N. worked for me :) Pat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.