Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nonobaddog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
iPad using ios 12. How can I stop the mail app from putting some emails in the junk folder? I want to turn off whatever is doing that.

I have read about moving the messages to the inbox but that does nothing about the behavior. It just moves the message and then it says "no content" or else it completely disappears. And then the next time it puts the message in junk again - over and over. I want it to stop!

Reactions: stringbeanie

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The moving of email from Junk to Inbox only works for some providers. iCloud mail accounts work this way. Don't think Google does (need to mark/unmark spam via their app).

Bottom line, it's being done at the mail provider's end. Mail on iPhone/Pad does not have filtering built in.

Mail service might have a filtering capability. Generally, need to sign into the web client and create rules (eg. "All emails from address never go to spam"). Gmail has this function.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
NoBoMac is correct. The emails are being moved to the junk or spam folder by your email provider. You'll have to see what you can do at the provider's webmail interface.

nonobaddog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Thank you! I had assumed it was the mail client doing this since my PC mail client never does this. I will see if I can fix it on the provider server side in web mail.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
iPad using ios 12. How can I stop the mail app from putting some emails in the junk folder? I want to turn off whatever is doing that.

I have read about moving the messages to the inbox but that does nothing about the behavior. It just moves the message and then it says "no content" or else it completely disappears. And then the next time it puts the message in junk again - over and over. I want it to stop!
There’s another method that is, I believe, a little more effective. I only have iCloud accounts so I don't know if this mechanism is available for others. iCloud has been a problem in this regard, every day I find messages that are not junk in the junk folder. Go up to the flag icon at the top of the message screen and tap on it. One of the options will be to mark as not junk. That will move it into your inbox and theoretically train Mail to recognize that subsequent messages from that sender should not be seen as junk. Manually moving the message to your inbox should accomplish the same but I do find this a little more effective. However I’ve found that this seems to be only temporary, I find future messages will occasionally still wind up in junk.

I suppose that this is preferable to the inverse issue. I rarely find messages that are definitely junk or spam in my inbox. All this does take place at the server end so there’s really nothing else to do, other than create a contact for every sender that gets misplaced. I won’t be doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.