Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPotential

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I am getting fed up with needing to help my less tech savy friends reset their iPads because last time they updated their iOS Apple decided to push the passcode on users.

So my friends enter all the codes they can think Apple requires of them, not realising that it is setting up a code to lock their iPads/iPhones. And because of the array of codes they enter do not satisfy the prompts until one happens to be entered twice in succession, they usually have no idea which is the magic code to unlock their iPad/iPhone again.

Apple YOU ARE WAISTING MY TIME and it is not appreciated!

(And the fine print to get out of the loop of Passcode prompts isn't the answer.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am getting fed up with needing to help my less tech savy friends reset their iPads because last time they updated their iOS Apple decided to push the passcode on users.

So my friends enter all the codes they can think Apple requires of them, not realising that it is setting up a code to lock their iPads/iPhones. And because of the array of codes they enter do not satisfy the prompts until one happens to be entered twice in succession, they usually have no idea which is the magic code to unlock their iPad/iPhone again.

(And the fine print to get out of the loop of Passcode prompts isn't the answer.)
The simple answer is people deciding for themselves to use a passcode or not as all those options are available. Someone not willing to spend the brief moment of time to look at what options are available to them before making a decision isn't something that anyone else but them would be responsible for.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
The simple answer is people deciding for themselves to use a passcode or not as all those options are available. Someone not willing to spend the brief moment of time to look at what options are available to them before making a decision isn't something that anyone else but them would be responsible for.

I don't think he's talking about lockscreen passcode.

It's when you don't update to the newest version and Apple requires you to enter the passcode to skip it. Tho there is a tiny message to skip the passcode but I can see ppl not seeing that message.

I do agree this passcode requirement to skip the update it's irritating.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think he's talking about lockscreen passcode.

It's when you don't update to the newest version and Apple requires you to enter the passcode to skip it. Tho there is a tiny message to skip the passcode but I can see ppl not seeing that message.

I do agree this passcode requirement to skip the update it's irritating.
I don't think I've seen anything related to needing a passcode to skip an update. In this case it seems like the OP is talking about creating a passcode and not remembering it, which is something that can be promoted for after an update, as opposed to just using an existing passcode for something.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Honestly I'd like Apple to spend their time fixing actual issues with iOS (of which there are many,) and not tiny details that confuse a technologically challenged minority of people. Now that would be a real waist of time.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
and if they didn't have it people would complain about everything they can think of - oh they already do

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
If you don't have a whole 30 seconds to set a passcode after you bought a phone (that took about 30 minutes) then there's something wrong with you.

And please, feel free to respond back. I dare you.

Reactions: Rok73

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

i do agree they ask u too much..... Seems Apple chose the path to annoy users vs "ask me once as i understand the convenience i'm giving up" to not needing to to change a thing, type of game.

But from a security perspective,i would have done the same. If they do ask you to change after an update, it doesn't mean "We wanna annoy you just for fun" ..

If you don't have a whole 30 seconds to set a passcode after you bought a phone (that took about 30 minutes) then there's something wrong with you.

And please, feel free to respond back. I dare you.

I wish these were the same millions of users who never read Terms and Conditions either... Coz regardless of what people say, u can tell if they don't by the questions that prompt later on.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Here's the problem with saying "it was forced down our throats":

If Apple did not push users to be more secure, most would have a liability instead of a phone. When their phone gets stolen, they'll blame Apple for not "making it more secure", and of course they will refuse to blame themselves for lack of security (though they voluntarily refused to set a passcode).

Apple has a very well oiled PR department and any security issues can be seen as a threat to their image (as would any company).

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
This thread is making me cringe. Your "smart" but "less tech savvy" friends don't read what's in front of them before blindly typing in a random code just to get rid of the prompt.

MoonageDaydream

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013

Your friends sound like people who don't understand what they are doing.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
It's like you're complaining about having a lock on your front door. If you think it's inconvenient and 'rammed down your throat', you can always remove it - but that also means that anyone else can walk right in to your house.

Your friends typing in random numbers is akin to throwing away the key after buying the new house and then complaining that they can't open a locked door.

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
Does anyone no how to turn off the two factor authentication? It sends you to a website on the phone settings but isn't a changing option when I go to said site?

iPotential

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Hi, I'm talking about the passcode to lock your device, which in my case involves iPads set-up for less tech savy friends who use them to read the paper and books. I think Apple is limiting the potential use cases for the iPad, which is a shame because the UI makes it a great tool for a range of activities (ie. beyond the use cases that i, and i suspect others in this thread use their devices for).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hi, I'm talking about the passcode to lock your device, which in my case involves iPads set-up for less tech savy friends who use them to read the paper and books. I think Apple is limiting the potential use cases for the iPad, which is a shame because the UI makes it a great tool for a range of activities (ie. beyond the use cases that i, and i suspect others in this thread use their devices for).
So apple never truly force passcode down throats. They provide options to not use passcode or password, just not that obvious to find.
If I were you I would blame them not asking for help when not knowing to do something on their iPad.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I will say this once. There is no passcode to "skip" updates and Apple does not require you to passcode-lock your device. If your less tech savvy friends cannot handle typing in 4 digits when setting up their ipad, which is likely the only time they will use it, then Apple isn't limiting potential, your friends are.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There isn't a requirement from Apple to use a passcode and that can be skipped if prompted during setup/update. Also, even if a passcode is set up at some point it can be removed and basically disabled if someone wants to at any point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.