Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
This is something that drives me nuts.

Scenario: I'm on a call on my iPhone using my AirPods in my home office. My wife gets in the car and starts driving out of the garage. Without warning or notification, the call gets transferred to the car. I have to then tap on the audio source icon on my iPhone and then select my AirPods to get the call back. Sometimes this works, but other times it just switches right back to the car.

Is there a setting on the iPhone or in the car that I can change to prevent this? This has happened on some pretty important calls and led to some embarrassing situations!

I came across this article on stopping AirPods from switching automatically between devices, but I'm not sure if that is relevant here, because the AirPods or AirPods Max is not switching to another device (i.e. from my phone to the computer) but instead the phone is switching the Bluetooth output from one device (AirPods) to another (car).

Any ideas?

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Yes it happened to me a lot. I don't setup car bluetooth connection again with my new phone and just connect with cable with carplay instead.

Reactions: ericwn

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Try Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > switch from "Automatic" to "Bluetooth Headset"

This guy had the EXACT same thing happen, and this was the suggestion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/dvjyx8
I can't believe iOS doesn't have a setting under each Bluetooth device to NOT connect automatically (like the option you have with Wi-Fi networks).
Thank you for this! I just changed that setting and will see how it goes.

Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.