Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AaronMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Oakland
I have an iPhone SE, running iOS 10.2

I love the predictive text option, but ever since the change to iOS 10, my phone has begun making predictive text suggestions based on (I assume) the content of my work emails.

For example, in iOS 9, if I just typed the letter R, the predictive text options would be things like "Right," "Ready" and "Really."

In iOS 10, when I type the letter R, it gives me things like "Riverside," "Relations" and "Regional," which are from proper nouns and job titles that come up occasionally in my work, but almost never in my texts, and certainly don't appear enough to warrant them appearing just from the letter R.

I've tried resetting the dictionary multiple times, and I've tried turning off "Contacts Found in Apps" in the Contacts settings. I really liked predictive text and found it very useful before this change, but it's lost a fair amount of functionality for me now. Not to mention possible privacy concerns.

Has anyone else experienced this?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The degree of control you're seeking is atypical of iOS, leaving you with 2 choices:
  1. Turn off predictive text
  2. Deal with it the way it is.

By the way, I believe it's inaccurate to say that the keyboard is searching your emails. More likely, the keyboard app itself remembers words you type within emails and then suggests them elsewhere.

AaronMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Oakland
Regarding your last comment, I almost never type work emails from my phone, and even if I did, then resetting the dictionary to factory settings would have erased them. If I type "Gh" then it suggests the last name of someone who was mentioned in one email thread, and whose name I have never typed in my life. I had to look up who he was after it made the suggestion. There's literally no other way his name would have gotten into my predictive text suggestions.

Also I just tried deleting my work account from my phone altogether (which I hadn't tried yet) and the predictions went away. They come back when I re-add the account. So that's obviously where they were coming from.

Regarding your first comment, while that may be true, I'm hoping to find someone else who has experienced this same issue who can verify that.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Regarding your last comment, I almost never type work emails from my phone, and even if I did, then resetting the dictionary to factory settings would have erased them. If I type "Gh" then it suggests the last name of someone who was mentioned in one email thread, and whose name I have never typed in my life. I had to look up who he was after it made the suggestion. There's literally no other way his name would have gotten into my predictive text suggestions.

Also I just tried deleting my work account from my phone altogether (which I hadn't tried yet) and the predictions went away. They come back when I re-add the account. So that's obviously where they were coming from.

Regarding your first comment, while that may be true, I'm hoping to find someone else who has experienced this same issue who can verify that.

Perhaps it's contacts' info instead of email content?

Either way, best of luck. I hope you can get a more satisfactory solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.