Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a gaming PC and would like to just use my 4K iMac's display. I don't want to boot my Mac into Windows, or us a VM, just 'stream'.

How would I do this? App? HDMI?

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
iMacs don't have HDMI in.
Its not really possible on the newer devices via hardware. Huge miss by apple.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
If you have nvidia use the GeForce experience/ shield streaming on your PC and stream go MacOS or any other device using the free moonlight client. I do this, works great using hardware encode on the GPU. Even FPS battlefield 1 on ultra runs smooth for me. The lag is there obviously so no competitive gaming, but it works shockingly well on a gigabit lan.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Remote desktop software, including Microsoft RDC, will work fine for desktop-style software but not for games.
No good solution for games...

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Does anyone know what the difference between a eGPU and a gaming PC?

The games I play are Planet Coaster, Civilization, etc. Those are also CPU intensive games, so are eGPU's just for a graphics boost, or also a CPU boost? I'm a little confused by just the 'GPU' in the name.

And how is this supported? Does Apple authorized only certain eGPUs to work?
Can you build a custom one?

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Does anyone know what the difference between a eGPU and a gaming PC?

The games I play are Planet Coaster, Civilization, etc. Those are also CPU intensive games, so are eGPU's just for a graphics boost, or also a CPU boost? I'm a little confused by just the 'GPU' in the name.

And how is this supported? Does Apple authorized only certain eGPUs to work?
Can you build a custom one?

That's a pretty complex question. You would be better served asking this question in the subforum of the Mac (i.e. MacBook Pro) you are trying to connect an eGPU to. The forum eGPU experts don't really hang out here.

Then if you have more questions go to egpu.io. So many things depend on your existing setup and the eGPU you hope to provision. The short answer is eGPU is official supported since High Sierra was released yesterday. eGPU has been in use on MacOS for several years but alot of the work was done by the eGPU hacking community to get it working. There are some enclosures that are and aren't compatible. Same with the graphics card you choose.

The fastest way to get up and running is something like the Akitio Node and an AMD card with built in drivers, something like the RX 480. Unfortunately the cost of these cards has skyrocket due to crypto mining.

https://www.akitio.com/blog/articles/testing-node-egpu-macos-high-sierra

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.