Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redmaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
How can you switch the default hub being used in the Home app? I want to ditch the HomePod mini in favour of my new AppleTV 4K.

Attachments

• D351E0D2-8E3A-4A17-8E77-E36E69BD10C2.jpeg
    D351E0D2-8E3A-4A17-8E77-E36E69BD10C2.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 236

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
The best way to achieve this in my experience is to reboot the Hub that is "Connected" which is likely to handover the Hub to the next device.

Re-read the OP post, as StumpyBloke has cited, you cannot ditch the HomePod as a "hub" unless you switch it off for good!

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
You can't.
As already mentioned, you can't.* I recently wanted to do the exact same thing as you, and if they're both active it can't be done. I tried hardwiring the Apple TV, turning them on in a certain order, etc. At best you'll get the results you want for a couple hours, at which point the algorithm will do its thing and set its own preferred order.

*There's probably a way to physically arrange the devices in such a way that the network strength of the one is so low that the algo would never switch to it. You could also perhaps use a different Apple ID for each device, and do some type of shenanigans (home sharing, separate homes, etc.) so that they're each a primary hub, but at that point I'm not sure it's worth doing.

Reactions: redmaple

redmaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
As already mentioned, you can't.* I recently wanted to do the exact same thing as you, and if they're both active it can't be done. I tried hardwiring the Apple TV, turning them on in a certain order, etc. At best you'll get the results you want for a couple hours, at which point the algorithm will do its thing and set its own preferred order.

*There's probably a way to physically arrange the devices in such a way that the network strength of the one is so low that the algo would never switch to it. You could also perhaps use a different Apple ID for each device, and do some type of shenanigans (home sharing, separate homes, etc.) so that they're each a primary hub, but at that point I'm not sure it's worth doing.
Agreed. It should be as simple as showing what hubs are available, as depicted, then long press and set the new one as the default. :confused:

Reactions: EastHillWill

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Agreed. It should be as simple as showing what hubs are available, as depicted, then long press and set the new one as the default. :confused:
I agree. They could be auto-managed by default, but give the users who want to make a change the option to do so. They continue to tweak the Home app, so maybe someday.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
For me, it's the other way around. I have the Apple TV 4K as the active hub but I want the hub to be my HomePod Mini. Rebooting etc. works only for a while but in the end, Apple always switches back to my Apple TV as being the hub.

redmaple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
For me, it's the other way around. I have the Apple TV 4K as the active hub but I want the hub to be my HomePod Mini. Rebooting etc. works only for a while but in the end, Apple always switches back to my Apple TV as being the hub.
I finally got it to switch to my new AppleTV 4K by unplugging the HomePod mini for a few hours. Let’s see how long it stays on the AppleTV as the active hub. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: chris4565

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
The interns running the HomeKit program at Apple will tell you which hub is best. Oh your OG HomePod wrecks things when it takes over as the hub randomly? Deal with it!

Obviously I'm being sarcastic. This is a frustration for many of us.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It is awful, it must have been a huge cock up if they haven't released iOS 16.2.1 to address the Homekit issues (or they just simply do not care about it anymore!)!
I haven’t got the new architecture. Was late to the party and by the time I updated all my devices and hubs, they’d already pulled it.

The funny thing is, I chose one of my vacation weeks from work to coincide with when I definitely thought we’d have an update to the new architecture. Was gonna nuke my whole network and HomeKit setup and start from scratch. Well, that week was this week that’s now passing us by. No update and a wasted winter vacation week lol.

BTW, the best part of that movie poster above is what it says in the search bar. Completely fitting! 🤣

Reactions: Bl0ckHe1d
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.