Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I have the first gen iPad with 3g ATT unlimited account and would like to switch to iPad mini 4G(LTE) with ATT. I have the iPad mini Wi-FI right now.

I am planning on sending my iPad 1 to a family member abroad next week. Is there anyway I can transfer the account to the new iPad when I get it in a month of so if I don't have the iPad 1 with me?

If so, what info do I need to activate the new iPad mini with? Will I need the iPad 1 with me and turned on when transferring account?

I was hoping to get the iPad mini 4g with retina if it is released as rumored.

Thanks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think taking the SIM out of your iPad 1, and getting a SIM cutter to cut it down to iPad mini size should work... but you might not get LTE.

Have you tried calling AT&T and asking? If you want to transfer your unlimited data plan to LTE, you'll need to go through them anyway.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
You will need to be sure you don't let the account on the iPad 1 get turned off. Safest way is to keep the 1 with you and active until you get the new 2. I guess you could just pull the sim from the 1 and continue paying for data on it until you get the 2.

After you get the 2 it isn't a problem to switch and can be done as you are setting up the new iPad. Like I said though if you let the account on the 1 get shut down you will never get the unlimited back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.