Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bthom70

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Danbury, CT
I'm a recent switcher and I use my Apple 15.2" Powerbook Rev E mostly for school work, I am a fulltime Graduate student.

I added wireless to my home MS XP network and love surfing from my sofa.

But 1 thing bugs me the most about OSX, the way windows operate on the screen. They are allowed to move wherever and know no boundary, especailly when I open a new window in Firefox and MS Word. How can I make new windows open the same way everytime? and not go off the screen?
In addition when opening a new MS Word document the top of the window is hidden under the toolbars, the more that are open, the further the new document sinks under them. Why would you want a document to be able to slip under a toolbar?
I know I'm spolied by the way MS Windows restricts open windows from sliding off the screen.
Any way to tame these crazy new windows?

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
I have never found that Word documents slip under any toolbars, but nevertheless, I find that if you quite the program with windows where you like them, they will spawn there the next time. I've trained my Safari this way. I like my main window to be in the lower corner, but secondary windows to spawn in the middle of the screen, or near the top. By closing windows there, and quitting Safari with them there, they tend to come back there.

bthom70

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Danbury, CT
I still cant get it work.
Everytime I reopen or respawn an application the windows do not remember the size or location when I closed them. Case in point, a new MS Word window slides under the tool bar.

I may have to go the Mac Genius bar at the local Mall.

L

Lau

I've noticed the Word document sliding underneath as well. It's hideously annoying. Fortunately I rarely type documents, but I can't begin to think how irritating it would be if you use Word a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.