Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
I can use the Home App to send an intercom message to all HomePods around the house (4 of them), but how do you send a message to a specific 1 or 2 or 3 of them and NOT to all HomePods?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Haven't tried it but I think "Hey Siri, Intercom [room name]" should do it for a single HomePod. As for multiples but not all, maybe it's possible with zones?

malcky77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
Aye that might be the way using Siri....but is there not a way to target a specific HomePod or person using the home app? I can only seem to send an intercom message to all HomePods at once.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just say, “Hey, Siri, Intercom the kitchen (and speak my message” and it works that way. Use the room name that the HomePod is in. Not sure you can target two specific HomePods/rooms but you can target a specific Zone so if those two or three are in a specific zone, just intercom to that zone.

Edit* just saw you wanted it from the home app. Hmm, maybe it figures you’re not home and don’t know where anyone is so it defaults to sending to every HomePod in the house. Maybe with more U1 chip implementation, that will change in the future.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok just ran a few tests. It doesn’t seem like you can target a specific HomePod using the button in the Home app but using Siri on the iPhone (or Apple Watch) you can target a specific HomePod using the command I posted above.

Reactions: tgara

MisterGrinch

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
Hi there... Simple question, can you direct an intercom message from a homepod exclusively to an iphone. If so what is the command?

Hey Siri, Intercom xxx, eat my shorts

If I had an iphone 12 what would the xxx be in the above to send the message only to the iphone 12 versus a full system broadcast?

Thx!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi there... Simple question, can you direct an intercom message from a homepod exclusively to an iphone. If so what is the command?

Hey Siri, Intercom xxx, eat my shorts

If I had an iphone 12 what would the xxx be in the above to send the message only to the iphone 12 versus a full system broadcast?

Thx!
Why wouldn’t you just send the message as a text?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deinocheirus

MisterGrinch

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
Why wouldn’t you just send the message as a text?
You can do that but I would like to know how to do this using the intercom feature. Since you can select specific rooms or homepods to direct messages to, logic would follow that you should also be able to direct to a specific phone.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You can do that but I would like to know how to do this using the intercom feature. Since you can select specific rooms or homepods to direct messages to, logic would follow that you should also be able to direct to a specific phone.
How would logic follow since the phone is assigned to a specific person and not a house or room? Intercom is a home feature. I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish when direct HomePod to phone communication has already been around for years in the form of call or text.

To answer your question, I just tested it and this doesn’t work. The whole house gets the intercom message.

MisterGrinch

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
How would logic follow since the phone is assigned to a specific person and not a house or room? Intercom is a home feature. I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish when direct HomePod to phone communication has already been around for years in the form of call or text.

To answer your question, I just tested it and this doesn’t work. The whole house gets the intercom message.
LOL oh good grief man. I want to intercom the phone versus send a text. That is my preference okay? A text is no more efficient than an intercom, and an intercom is no more efficient than a text. If I want to do it a new way that is not more or less efficient that is my choice. Not debating with you on this, really not worth my time.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
LOL oh good grief man. I want to intercom the phone versus send a text. That is my preference okay? A text is no more efficient than an intercom, and an intercom is no more efficient than a text. If I want to do it a new way that is not more or less efficient that is my choice. Not debating with you on this, really not worth my time.
Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Bart Simpson, but after testing this for you trying several different commands/key words it doesn’t work the way you want it to.

Reactions: UnseenLlama

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
Aye that might be the way using Siri....but is there not a way to target a specific HomePod or person using the home app? I can only seem to send an intercom message to all HomePods at once.
In the Home app, switch to the room you want to intercom to. Then use the button in the top right corner to send your message. It should go only to the room you selected.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Intercom is so confusing. Why did they have to make it confusing?

Can someone just explain what you can/cannot do?

It seems you can initiate an intercom from any personal device, but you can't target personal devices? I thought I've seen screens of Intercom showing up on people's devices...do you have to send it to everyone for that to happen? I don't get it.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
@Alfie Thanks for that.....that is exactly what I was looking for....aimed at 1 person anyway, shame you cant send the same message to a choice of destinations....perhaps a later update will add that function.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
In the Home app, switch to the room you want to intercom to. Then use the button in the top right corner to send your message. It should go only to the room you selected.
Good catch! I just scrolled through my rooms and only those with a HomePod in it have the intercom button at the top right.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
@Alfie Thanks for that.....that is exactly what I was looking for....aimed at 1 person anyway, shame you cant send the same message to a choice of destinations....perhaps a later update will add that function.
Try creating zones with the few rooms you want it, like the kids’ rooms. You can’t necessarily use the intercom button in the Home app but Siri on the HomePod should be able to intercom just a zone.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

It seems you can initiate an intercom from any personal device, but you can't target personal devices? I thought I've seen screens of Intercom showing up on people's devices...do you have to send it to everyone for that to happen? I don't get it.
Apple’s implementation of Intercom is meant to get the attention of as many people possible in different locations. It’s not meant for a meaningful two way conversation. It’s actually a nuisance when used that way. Yes, if you send an intercom to the house, everyone’s personal device attached to the home (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods) will get the intercom message but if you’re looking to just target a specific person’s iPhone, a text or call would probably work better if they’re away. If in the home, a tactically placed HomePod/Mini will do the trick.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Apple’s implementation of Intercom is meant to get the attention of as many people possible in different locations. It’s not meant for a meaningful two way conversation. It’s actually a nuisance when used that way. Yes, if you send an intercom to the house, everyone’s personal device attached to the home (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods) will get the intercom message but if you’re looking to just target a specific person’s iPhone, a text or call would probably work better if they’re away. If in the home, a tactically placed HomePod/Mini will do the trick.
I get that, it's just confusing. It is hard to understand or explain what happens when you use intercom, especially with the inclusion of personal devices outside the home.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

Anytime they come out with something like this, they sure don’t give very much Info on it. I think it’s still new so it won’t be up to par yet. And they will keep adding features to it as the days go by. Except I don’t think they want to let you send an intercom to someone’s phone cause that would take away from you needing a mini and they want you to buy their mini’s. That would be taking money out of their pocket and you know Apple and their money!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.