Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
About to purchase some Airpods Pros later this week, but was wondering how to tell if the one I get has the case with Magsafe or not. Having Magsafe isn't a deal breaker, but was wondering if I were to walk into a non Apple Store, like Best Buy or Target, would their stock even have that Magsafe version or would they most likely still have the current ones? I can only assume that those stores would have their remaining stock until they replenish with the updated case. Were there any mention of how to tell which one you're purchasing? Thanks in advance!

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
The current pros say “with wireless charging case” on the back of the packaging.

I assume the new ones will say “with MagSafe charging case” as per the new product listing .

A2190 is the model number of the existing case seen next to the barcode. Not sure of the MagSafe code just yet but hopefully that helps

Last edited:

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
The current pros say “with wireless charging case” on the back of the packaging.

I assume the new phones will say “with MagSafe charging case” as per the new product listing .

A2190 is the model number of the existing case seen next to the barcode. Not sure of the MagSafe code just yet but hopefully that helps
Thank you so much! I'll just see what they have in store. MagSafe isn't a make or break deal, just as long as they were made after October 2020 LOL. Thanks again!

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Thank you so much! I'll just see what they have in store. MagSafe isn't a make or break deal, just as long as they were made after October 2020 LOL. Thanks again!
No worries. Found this via Google. If you see A2190 here it’s the existing model

F47AA22B-993F-4AE3-BBA1-6BD328E13664.jpeg

Reactions: MacinTosh.0

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
About to purchase some Airpods Pros later this week, but was wondering how to tell if the one I get has the case with Magsafe or not. Having Magsafe isn't a deal breaker, but was wondering if I were to walk into a non Apple Store, like Best Buy or Target, would their stock even have that Magsafe version or would they most likely still have the current ones? I can only assume that those stores would have their remaining stock until they replenish with the updated case. Were there any mention of how to tell which one you're purchasing? Thanks in advance!
I just picked one up at the apple store today as the apple.com did show that it was available for pick up. The updated one does say ”Airpods Pro with Magesafe Charging Case” instead of that “with Wireless charging case”.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
What's the difference my pros still charge on my magsafe puck

Magnets so the case snaps to the charger

The MagSafe case will stick to the puck..

I can also confirm that I have been able to charge my AirPods Pro using the MagSafe puck, works just fine.

No big deal if it doesn't magnetically attach to the charger puck, I'm not trying to do it vertically on the wall, it is sitting flat on my desk! I don't think they're going anywhere.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I can also confirm that I have been able to charge my AirPods Pro using the MagSafe puck, works just fine.

No big deal if it doesn't magnetically attach to the charger puck, I'm not trying to do it vertically on the wall, it is sitting flat on my desk! I don't think they're going anywhere.
You know there will be those that get the new ones just for the magnets.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
You know there will be those that get the new ones just for the magnets.
I am sure you are right!

And there is a small advantage I didn't think about earlier, the new AirPods will align automatically to the charging puck, so the AirPods will be sure to get charged.

Myself, I just put my AirPods case on the charging puck and make sure the little LED illuminates, which tells me that it will begin charging. Not that hard to do!

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I’ve just purchased a sealed genuine box of AirPods Pro on EBay

Probably asked already, but can someone please advise if it’s only the Magsafe addition to the new Pro’s and nothing else? You can still track your old set of Pro’s with FindMy?

Dimensions of the case are the same for the 2019 and 2021 versions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.