Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmueller

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
Our 17" Early 2011 MacBook Pros both suffered from the GPU failure repeatedly until Apple no longer would replace them for free (under AppleCare, then the recall, then the extended recall or something, then nada once they fell into the obsolete bin). We found a user at MacInTouch who had good luck with a shop in Brooklyn NY who would replace the Radeon HD 6750M GPU with the Radeon HD 6770M used in the late 2011 MBPs that supposedly did not have the flaw. We decided to go for it.

Both have been working fine for the past couple of years (knock press-board). Lately it came to my attention that the MBPs have been running with the Radeon constantly, never downshifting to the Intel GPU. The culprit appears to be the CrashPlan engine but that's a different investigation.
But this made me notice that System Information always displayed Graphics as Radeon HD 6750M, not the 6770M that I had paid for.

So my question is: does System Information show info for the actual chip in a MBP, or does it simply display the GPUs that it is supposed to have when it came from Apple?

And the real question is - how can I tell if we got the 6770M GPUs we paid for without disassembling the MBPs?

Last edited:

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I would think it would show the correct chip however, I think the 6770m, as I had, could be equipped with more vram than the 6750m. Not too sure though but might be something to look for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.