Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
This seems to be quite good. What else shall we check besides ghosting?

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Aside from the obvious such as aesthetics, heat and stability, I think that covers most of it. If it can meet my requirements in running games and applications well, I see no reason to search for problems. Life is too short for that. Plus having a good warranty is nice too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some of that seems a bit over the top, with regard to pixels and light bleed. I'm a big believer in using as you normally would. Backlight bleed is a great example. Most people don't use their laptops in a fully darkened room, with a black wallpaper and the brightness turned up all the way.

If you don't see any issuse in using it, then as @soulreaver99 mentioned, don't look for it. The only thing I would want to test is that the ports work, wifi is fine, and as documented in the video, your components are what you expect, ram, gpu, etc etc.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It is interesting that he mentioned about checking if the bottom wobbles. I have been using laptops for 30+ years. This year is the first time I hear such issue. P53 myself and MBP 16" from a forum user.

What is the course of such mysterious issue? I don't see issues with the rubber feet. It seems to be twisted bottom. Of the 30+ years since the earliest Toshiba laptop and the headless laptop made by Apple (don't recall the name, it came with a built-in keyboard and a handle, the external CRT had green letters, bought it before the first Macintosh was invented), there was no such issue. Why suddenly laptops have such issue?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why suddenly laptops have such issue?
Probably because you're looking for problems; dollars to donuts, you previously used laptops and didn't obsess over the smallest imperfection. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but rather point out that laptops are tools, and spending inordinate amounts of time finding problems isn't productive. I'm not knocking the need to validate a laptop but imo, there's a line between checking and obsessing.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Probably because you're looking for problems; dollars to donuts, you previously used laptops and didn't obsess over the smallest imperfection. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but rather point out that laptops are tools, and spending inordinate amounts of time finding problems isn't productive. I'm not knocking the need to validate a laptop but imo, there's a line between checking and obsessing.

I have spent too much time doing research on user experience with new laptops, wasting lots of time to chase the manufacturer to ship my laptops, waiting for delivery that took weeks and got issues upon receiving the laptops, chasing manufacturer to give me a refund (recently took weeks) and repeat... On average, each time I spent an hour or more to chat with agents asking all sorts of tech questions.

I see you have issue with X1E. It seems that even for the MBP 16", there are issues. So perhaps the best way is to just get an inexpensive laptop (no more than $3000), expect to get a new one in 2-3 year time and get the hell out of the loop of searching.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see you have issue with X1E.
Its more of an issue with new peripherals and so far it seems I may have solved it. The laptop is solid, though I'm finding that i may want something with a more powerful GPU.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Its more of an issue with new peripherals and so far it seems I may have solved it. The laptop is solid, though I'm finding that i may want something with a more powerful GPU.

I guess you can go for eGPU or if you don't mind the heavy weight, P73 is the best!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess you can go for eGPU or if you don't mind the heavy weight, P73 is the best!
I'm kicking around the idea of an EGPU (hence my thread in this forum ;) ) It wouldn't travel with me, but stay at home. As for a P73, I have zero motivation to buy such a heavy monster, and its nearly at 3k which is not something I'm willing to pay. I'm surprised you would say that given the complaints about the p53 and you mentioned the weight of the P53 as a reason to return (or sell) the laptop

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm kicking around the idea of an EGPU (hence my thread in this forum ;) ) It wouldn't travel with me, but stay at home. As for a P73, I have zero motivation to buy such a heavy monster, and its nearly at 3k which is not something I'm willing to pay. I'm surprised you would say that given the complaints about the p53 and you mentioned the weight of the P53 as a reason to return (or sell) the laptop
I liked Lenovo P but now they are less featured in some ways than some gaming laptops (which I don't trust to be solid).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
which I don't trust to be solid
That's one factor in my choosing the ThinkPad over a gaming laptop.

I've said this before; the Razer can be likened to a sexy sports car, its fast and looks great but kind of delicate. The ThinkPad is a minivan - it doesn't look sexy but does a whole lot more and can take more of a beating :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

I've said this before; the Razer can be likened to a sexy sports car, its fast and looks great but kind of delicate. The ThinkPad is a minivan - it doesn't look sexy but does a whole lot more and can take more of a beating :)
The 15" offer looks bleak.

The state of 17" is not much better.

And 9.5mm hard drives have been stuck at 2TB for years.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I liked Lenovo P but now they are less featured in some ways than some gaming laptops (which I don't trust to be solid).

Personally think it's just perception; I've been using gaming notebooks for years professionally (engineering) and they have never let me down; Acer, Asus, MS etc.

I travel for work purpose internationally, nor are the notebook's baby'd as they need to go with me; taxis, ferries, aircraft large and small, including helicopters at times. Price to performance you can't beat them, this current Asus tears everything apart you throw at it without any fuss. If it's not working it's sleeping and rarely shutdown.

I generally swap out the hardware at the 24 month point and my old gaming notebooks are passed on, and they are still going strong now used as gaming platforms. The new notebook I simply strip out all the SW I don't want or install vanilla Windows.

The performance speaks for itself, over 18 months in and no reason to consider replacing.
3103CB (No Taskbar).jpg

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

Queen6

macrumors G4
I bought a gaming laptop and the cheap SSD failed after one year.

My notebooks are hammered, as a desktop is simply not a viable solution for my needs. I don't have a cap on the budget, I just do my research as to what will serve best and ignore all the sales & marketing BS. At the end of the day why pay $6K for hype and have a $2K machine perform the same if not better.

If you dig deeper you will find a lot of independent professionals use gaming notebooks. In some instances clients will provide the hardware, equally I still tend to use my own as in general it's a dam sight faster. Client is only concerned with the result not the tools, for all they care you could use an abacus :p

Is also worth considering the notebook OEM is not likely to be the provider of the SSD.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
My notebooks are hammered, as a desktop is simply not a viable solution for my needs. I don't have a cap on the budget, I just do my research as to what will serve best and ignore all the sales & marketing BS. At the end of the day why pay $6K for hype and have a $2K machine perform the same if not better.

If you dig deeper you will find a lot of independent professionals use gaming notebooks. In some instances clients will provide the hardware, equally I still tend to use my own as in general it's a dam sight faster. Client is only concerned with the result not the tools, for all they care you could use an abacus :p

Is also worth considering the notebook OEM is not likely to be the provider of the SSD.

Q-6
This is a 1.5K laptop. I did not buy it because it is "gaming" but because of features.

I know who made the SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.