Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Hi all, i have an iPhone x and the right side of the touchscreen doesn't work. Bascially the 4th column of apps, that portion straight down doesnt work. This has posed a problem bc I'm unable to toggle anything on or off in settings and given that apple just couldn't make things go sideways is even more frustrating.

I plan to get the new iphone next month and i need to toggle some items on for icloud backup but i'm unable to do so. I'm also unable to delete the current backup bc i can't toggle to the turn the back up back on which is also stupid, why cant you just delete a backup without turning off the backup, nevertheless, does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the screen to work so i can toggle on or better yet how can i transfer things such as messages to my new phone? Is my only option to bring it to the carrier and have them do it? I did see a software called anytrans but i don't trust it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Can’t remember whether settings works in landscape mode on that particular phone, but have you tried that?

Edit: oh is that what you mean by sideways? If so, sorry I’ve no idea. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Can’t remember whether settings works in landscape mode on that particular phone, but have you tried that?

Edit: oh is that what you mean by sideways? If so, sorry I’ve no idea. Hopefully someone will be able to help.
yep can't do landscape

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
What about plugging it into an iMac or MacBook: I think there's something about backups in Finder on the Mac ?

Reactions: ignatius345

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Hi, not 100% sure if it will, but could this page be of any help? There's even a section at the very bottom about connecting a pointer device such as a mouse or trackpad. Haven't tried any of this myself but I hope you get sorted.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
What about plugging it into an iMac or MacBook: I think there's something about backups in Finder on the Mac ?
didnt know this thank you. I backed up everything and saved the copy to my mac. i dont like that it brings everything over including all the "documents and data" and not let you select just messages or just photos. but at this point ill take what i can get bc my current phone is messed up

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay Tee

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Hi, not 100% sure if it will, but could this page be of any help? There's even a section at the very bottom about connecting a pointer device such as a mouse or trackpad. Haven't tried any of this myself but I hope you get sorted.

thanks, cant use this bc i cant toggle on or off for anything bc of the right side of the touchscreen

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
thanks, cant use this bc i cant toggle on or off for anything bc of the right side of the touchscreen
You can tell Siri to turn AssistiveTouch on, but I think you might still have trouble pairing a mouse since the Pair button will also be on the right side.

You should be able to do what you want with Voice Control though.
  1. Tell Siri to turn on Voice Control ("Hey Siri, turn on Voice Control").
  2. Leave Siri if she's still active. The phone should still be listening to you (blue dot in upper-left corner).
  3. Navigate to where you want to go (can use the touch screen).
  4. Say "Tap [Name]" for the toggles you want to switch ("Tap Back Up This iPhone" or "Tap Messages").
Just to be clear, you are talking to Voice Control on your phone for step 4...not Siri. There will be no prompts asking for a command or input. Siri shouldn't be active, nor should you say "Hey Siri" first. Turn off Voice Control when you're done. The link above shows other ways to interact with Voice Control if needed (i.e. overlaying numbers on the screen and telling Voice Control to tap the numbers instead.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DCIFRTHS and LMC91

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
didnt know this thank you. I backed up everything and saved the copy to my mac. i dont like that it brings everything over including all the "documents and data" and not let you select just messages or just photos. but at this point ill take what i can get bc my current phone is messed up
Yeah, I think your best bet is that Finder backup and then restore to your new phone, then delete any extra stuff from the new phone later.

Reactions: Jay Tee and STC1709

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
You can tell Siri to turn AssistiveTouch on, but I think you might still have trouble pairing a mouse since the Pair button will also be on the right side.

You should be able to do what you want with Voice Control though.
  1. Tell Siri to turn on Voice Control ("Hey Siri, turn on Voice Control").
  2. Leave Siri if she's still active. The phone should still be listening to you (blue dot in upper-left corner).
  3. Navigate to where you want to go (can use the touch screen).
  4. Say "Tap [Name]" for the toggles you want to switch ("Tap Back Up This iPhone" or "Tap Messages").
Just to be clear, you are talking to Voice Control on your phone for step 4...not Siri. There will be no prompts asking for a command or input. Siri shouldn't be active, nor should you say "Hey Siri" first. Turn off Voice Control when you're done. The link above shows other ways to interact with Voice Control if needed (i.e. overlaying numbers on the screen and telling Voice Control to tap the numbers instead.)
I like this idea except siri is turned off and i cant turn it on bc i cant access toggle on/off lol

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I like this idea except siri is turned off and i cant turn it on bc i cant access toggle on/off lol
Sounds like a challenge... ;)

Could try this:
  1. Close all apps (so you aren't switching between them later on).
  2. Go to the screen with the settings you want to change.
  3. Grab the home bar at the bottom of the screen and slide it to the left to move the screen over, so that the toggle is on the left side of the display.
  4. Let go and quickly tap the toggle with your other hand. It may take a few tries, but it will flip the toggle if you get the timing right while the screen springs back into position.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS and LMC91

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Sounds like a challenge... ;)

Could try this:
  1. Close all apps (so you aren't switching between them later on).
  2. Go to the screen with the settings you want to change.
  3. Grab the home bar at the bottom of the screen and slide it to the left to move the screen over, so that the toggle is on the left side of the display.
  4. Let go and quickly tap the toggle with your other hand. It may take a few tries, but it will flip the toggle if you get the timing right while the screen springs back into position.
GENIUS it worked took a few tries though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.