Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Australia
I've had my iPod touch 6th generation for 3 months and I am starting to see some issues with battery life. I am wanting to full restore this iPod. However I want to be able to transfer only my health data to the fresh install is their any way to do this without restoring from backup and copying all the old data to the new install.

Thanks

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I've had my iPod touch 6th generation for 3 months and I am starting to see some issues with battery life. I am wanting to full restore this iPod. However I want to be able to transfer only my health data to the fresh install is their any way to do this without restoring from backup and copying all the old data to the new install.

Thanks

Unless Im mistaken you have to do an encrypted backup in iTunes to retain health data.

JamesMartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Australia
Unless Im mistaken you have to do an encrypted backup in iTunes to retain health data.
If I restore an encrypted backup it will restore all of my old data to the fresh installed iPod. Is there any way I can transfer only the health data to the fresh installed iPod.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If I restore an encrypted backup it will restore all of my old data to the fresh installed iPod. Is there any way I can transfer only the health data to the fresh installed iPod.

Im not aware of a selective restore. Could you not restore everything and then manually delete/remove things you didn't want?

JamesMartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Australia
Im not aware of a selective restore. Could you not restore everything and then manually delete/remove things you didn't want?
Would restoring from backup be a good idea for trying to fix battery issues, could it restore a file or setting causing the battery issue.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Would restoring from backup be a good idea for trying to fix battery issues, could it restore a file or setting causing the battery issue.

try signing out of iCloud and the Appstore and signing back in. Maybe something is stuck that is using battery.

If that doesn't help you could try resetting all settings, removing all apps and reinstalling them 1 by 1 and observing battery to see if you can pinpoint the culprit app (if an app IS causing the problem).

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Look at your Battery stats under Settings. You might be ale to telll which app is causing your battery problem and avoid the restore.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
OP- do a google search. There is a method that involves ibackupbot but I'm pretty sure you need to have a Mac for the method to work.

Essentially you take your encrypted backup and copy the health data over to a blank backup that you create after restoring your phone and backing up the freshly restored phone. You edit the backup by adding health and then restore from backup. Data will be transferred back. Takes about 5 minutes.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I use iexplorer as my third party backup browser. You can find other alternative. But core is: you need to extract health data, copy it into a blank backup, and restore using that blank one. Health data is likely stored in a folder, so you don't need to worry carrying other garbage into your iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.