Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Bought an iPhone 15 coming from a 12. What is the best way to transfer ALL my WhatsApp chats and history to the new phone?

I don’t have iCloud backup for WhatsApp since it takes too much space. I did a Mac backup of the phone. Can I restore the whole backup of the iPhone 12 to the 15 or the backup can only be restored to another iPhone 12 (only same model phone)? Never tried it before from one model to another one.

Thanks!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
So this cannot be done via a simple iPhone backup of the previous phone?

What happens if I restore the backup to the new phone? Will it mess up the WhatsApp backup if I have in it iCloud?

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Bought an iPhone 15 coming from a 12. What is the best way to transfer ALL my WhatsApp chats and history to the new phone?

I don’t have iCloud backup for WhatsApp since it takes too much space. I did a Mac backup of the phone. Can I restore the whole backup of the iPhone 12 to the 15 or the backup can only be restored to another iPhone 12 (only same model phone)? Never tried it before from one model to another one.

Thanks!
Did you select encryption for your iPhone backup on your Mac?

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Do a chat backup on your old phone.

Restore new phone using iCloud backup

Delete WhatsApp on new phone and reinstall.

Sign in on new phone and restore chat from iCloud.

MayfairMissy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2021
So this cannot be done via a simple iPhone backup of the previous phone?

What happens if I restore the backup to the new phone? Will it mess up the WhatsApp backup if I have in it iCloud?
I always set up or restore via Mac backup or phone to phone.
This always saves my WhatsApp chats.
I've no experience with iCloud backups though.
Just make sure both phones or your backup are on exactly the same iOS version.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Do a chat backup on your old phone.

Restore new phone using iCloud backup

Delete WhatsApp on new phone and reinstall.

Sign in on new phone and restore chat from iCloud.

But I want to do it via local backup, not iCloud because I have the 5GB limit.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011

Thanks!
This will work perfectly, whatapp data will be transferred over to new phone. if you need health data and passwords etc then better do encrypted backup.

MayfairMissy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2021
When you buy a new iPhone or iPad Apple gives you more temporary iCloud storage for free.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
A related problem. I’m trying to restore WhatsApp on my wife’s new 15. When I reach the point of electing to restore or skip the restore it shows a back date from 3 years ago even though her WhatsApp chats have been backed up daily on the old iPhone (14pro). I’m reluctant to go ahead and take a chance because as soon as I do that WhatsApp will be cut on the old phone.

Anyone experienced this and any way I can force a restore from the latest backup ?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.