Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
My end goal is to get a local copy of my iCloud library which is now pushing 1.2TB. My MBP has 500GB of storage, so there is a problem that needs to be resolved.

My end goal is to get the bulk of my library exported and stored locally across multiple locations for redundancy, and get the iCloud usage into a lower tier plan.

I can mount my network folder as a drive, but MacOS knows it is a network location, and Photos does not allow network drives be used for iCloud photo sync.

So right now, I only have a partial copy of my library locally, with everything only in iCloud. It is nice that everything is there and accessible from all devices, but I have no local copy or backup at all.

Another angle I thought of was could I extract all the video only as that is probably the bulk of the storage. I however cannot see the breakdown of photo vs video as iCloud usage groups it into photos and videos.

Is there anyway to do what I want to do? all options on the table, not just limited to the hardware I have right now.

Ideally i would like a NAS that can connect to iCloud to sync and retain a local copy of everything, but I have only seen a hanky solution from Synology to do that.

I guess the easiest is get a big USB drive, use that for my photo library so I can download it all and use Time Machine to backup to the time capsule. I don't really like that solution as the MBP loses it's mobility by having to be tethered to a USB drive, hence my ask of can I trick MacOS into thinking the network drive is locally mounted. Of course I can't then back up to the time capsule (live data and backup on the same device is not a backup) but at least I would have a complete local copy of everything in the event that iCloud has a massive failure situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.