Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LRSFC-djackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
At my workplace we're finding that Macs won't correctly shut down or restart when choosing those options from the login window or from the Finder menu bar. When attempting to shut down or restart from the login window, the screen goes black briefly, then we see the Fast User Switching animation before the login window reappears. We know it isn't a fault with the hardware, because if we do a clean install of macOS with just Jamf Pro (our MDM) and Sophos (our endpoint security software) then the issue doesn't happen. We have tried installing software and configuration profiles one by one to see if we could identify the culprit but this wasn't successful.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest any other troubleshooting steps we could take? For example, is there something we could look for in log files? I tried reproducing the issue and then doing a "log show --last 2m" but it was a massive amount of text and I've no idea what I'm looking for. Same with "pmset -g log".

Our Macs are mainly Intel based but we have also seen the issue on an M1 Mac Mini. We're running macOS Monterey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.