Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xibuh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Hello

I have a mid-2011 iMac 27'', and my graphics card (an AMD Radeon Hd6970M) is damaged. I don't have any system on my disk, but when I had High Sierra, I turned on my iMac and while it was booting, it suddenly turned on a white screen, and nothing happened. Do you know how I can turn off this graphic and work on an Intel graphic?

With gratitude

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello

I have a mid-2011 iMac 27'', and my graphics card (an AMD Radeon Hd6970M) is damaged. I don't have any system on my disk, but when I had High Sierra, I turned on my iMac and while it was booting, it suddenly turned on a white screen, and nothing happened. Do you know how I can turn off this graphic and work on an Intel graphic?

With gratitude

You can turn-off the GPU by removing it from the logic board.
The iMac will then run in headless mode (no display).

Reactions: xibuh

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hello

With gratitude

I don't have an intel Mac anymore so I can't test for sure but if memory serves it's under the power settings somewhere. There was an option to save power by using the Intel graphics card.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Really, a 2011 iMac isn't worth fixing or fooling with any more (because of the problem with the internal GPU).

Time for some kind of replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.