Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trifle James

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Hi there,

I'm new to all this so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong.

On my Mac Pro (10.8.2) using my magic mouse, when I double click a folder it opens as you would expect. That's all fine, but after this, it only takes a single click to open the folders or files. This is extremely annoying as I will double click to open a folder, then double click again to find I have accidentally opened a folder and then a file within it which wastes time.

Is there a way I can turn this feature off?

Thanks in advance.

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
Um.. Is it even possible to configure OS X to open files and folders with single click? I can't figure out how to do it.. :confused:

Try playing around with the mouse settings, especially the Double-Click Speed (System Preferences -> Mouse). See if that changes anything. Could it be possible, that your mouse is defective? Maybe try with another mouse?

Other than that, I'm out.. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

I hope you solve it, because OS X is a delight to use! :)

Trifle James

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

Um.. Is it even possible to configure OS X to open files and folders with single click? I can't figure out how to do it.. :confused:

Try playing around with the mouse settings, especially the Double-Click Speed (System Preferences -> Mouse). See if that changes anything. Could it be possible, that your mouse is defective? Maybe try with another mouse?

Thanks for the reply!

You're right, I didn't even know that you could configure OS X to do that. It's really weird! I've discovered something else as well, this weird thing only happens if I keep the mouse still. For example, if I double click on a folder to open it and the mouse is already hovering over the new folder I wish to open, it only takes a single click to open the folder as I haven't moved the mouse. Moving the mouse to a different folder means I have to double click.

You can see why it's so confusing for me!

I didn't have any joy with the mouse settings and don't have another mouse. But thanks for these suggestions and I agree OS X is great :)

Trifle James

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Tested

By the way, I've just tested this out on my laptop (which has a trackpad not a magic mouse) and have exactly the same issue. So it's definitely something within the OS.

FrankConrad

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the reply!

You're right, I didn't even know that you could configure OS X to do that. It's really weird! I've discovered something else as well, this weird thing only happens if I keep the mouse still. For example, if I double click on a folder to open it and the mouse is already hovering over the new folder I wish to open, it only takes a single click to open the folder as I haven't moved the mouse. Moving the mouse to a different folder means I have to double click.

You can see why it's so confusing for me!

I didn't have any joy with the mouse settings and don't have another mouse. But thanks for these suggestions and I agree OS X is great :)
[doublepost=1464564733][/doublepost]I get so frustrated that Apple just changes things, like the single click function, without any option to revert to the older method. Apple just does not listen. Look at the number of people who are trying to find a way to circumvent the inconveniences they impose on their customers. Most people are not computer gurus and are discouraged by having to go through a complete learning curve all the time.

Reactions: mididoctor

skillets

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
I have the same problem. It suddenly appeared and is soooo annoying. How can I get rid of this stupid single click function??
This may not be your issue but this threw me for a second that I was in column view it was wider than I could see the edges so it would jump to the next column when I clicked on the folder. I thought I was in List view and things had just changed since I just upgraded to Sierra.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.