Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I want to be able to issue one vocal command, through Siri, which would turn on a smart plug for 5 minutes then automatically turn off. This would run my Grundfos hot water recirculation pump for 5 minutes before someone in my house takes a hot shower supplied by my Noritz tankless water heater.

So is it possible for Siri to issue a limited time duration activation command so I won't to have to issue a shutoff command after the shower is done? And if Siri cannot do this, then maybe an app or Alexa? And which smart plug, wireless electrical outlet?

Since shower schedules are so random in my household during Covid, a schedule will not work and thus I need to be able to issue an on-demand command for a limited amount of time.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
With HomeKit you can turn on anything with a Siri command which can then turn itself off after a set number of minutes. I use this function on all my motion sensors. The only thing then is to find a smart plug that does not need a bridge and can provide sufficient power. Look at Eve Home or Meross for example. Search for HomeKit smart plug. I use Eve - no bridge required - but not particularly cheap!

Reactions: Tapper

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I want to be able to issue one vocal command, through Siri, which would turn on a smart plug for 5 minutes then automatically turn off. This would run my Grundfos hot water recirculation pump for 5 minutes before someone in my house takes a hot shower supplied by my Noritz tankless water heater.

So is it possible for Siri to issue a limited time duration activation command so I won't to have to issue a shutoff command after the shower is done? And if Siri cannot do this, then maybe an app or Alexa? And which smart plug, wireless electrical outlet?

Since shower schedules are so random in my household during Covid, a schedule will not work and thus I need to be able to issue an on-demand command for a limited amount of time.
That's is something that Siri can do fairly easy. You need a smart plug compatible with Apple's Homekit. There are several at Amazon. You may wanna also check the WikiPost above to see devices that are compatible with HomeKit.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
With HomeKit you can turn on anything with a Siri command which can then turn itself off after a set number of minutes. I use this function on all my motion sensors. The only thing then is to find a smart plug that does not need a bridge and can provide sufficient power. Look at Eve Home or Meross for example. Search for HomeKit smart plug. I use Eve - no bridge required - but not particularly cheap!

How do you turn them on only for a fixed amount of time?

Tapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Great. What is the command because if I ask Siri to turn on a smart plug for 3 minutes it doesn't work?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Where? There is nothing like that on any of mine (Merros) from what I can see. Cheers.
Look under automations in the HomeKit app. I set up an automation where my lamp turns on at 5am and turns off after 5 minutes.

You don’t need to use the Meross app to control any of the lights. And speaking of Meross, I can’t seem to get my smart plug to update. When I look in WiFi, there is no network available from Meross.

Attachments

• E4671694-AEF6-450A-A6DA-E15244FDC041.jpeg
    E4671694-AEF6-450A-A6DA-E15244FDC041.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Thanks. Will have a look. It’s a pity we can’t just ask Siri to turn on such and such a device for X amount of minutes though.

Reactions: Ledgem

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have a shortcut that basically does three things.

1) Turn on a Hue light
2) wait x seconds
3) Turn off the light

I've found that if x is over around 120 seconds, the shortcut just silently gives up. Siri can run the (less than 120 seconds) shortcut. It'll moan about it not working, as it waits for a successful completion and gets upset if that doesn't happen after a few seconds, but ignore the whining.

Reddit says that the wait can get close to three minutes. I guess one could some up with some complex shortcut that creates a reminder 5 minutes in the future which itself triggers another shortcut to turn the socket off.

Edit as this thread got bumped: I solved my issue with a workaround. My shortcut now says how many seconds are left, every 10 seconds. It seems that giving it something to do allows it to keep running for much longer.

Last edited:

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Hopefully they fix the wait thing or add the turn off feature to things other than accessory triggers.

Tapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I stumbled upon a solution! I installed the Meross smart plug and using the Meross app I can automatically turn off the connected device after a set amount of time. In the Meross app goto Routines and click the plus button to setup a routine where it automatically shuts off 2 minutes after being turned on. Bingo!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
It could also be done in the Home app by doing 2 simple things:

1: Create a scene, call it "Shower Time", select the smart plug and choose to have it turn ON, select done.
2: Create an automation, select the "An accessory is controlled", then select the smart plug, select turns ON, select the "shower time" scene, then select the turn off after 5 minutes. And you're all done.

That way you can issue one command.....hey Siri, shower time......and the smart plug will turn on and then off again after 5 minutes.

bob2k2

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
It could also be done in the Home app by doing 2 simple things:

1: Create a scene, call it "Shower Time", select the smart plug and choose to have it turn ON, select done.
2: Create an automation, select the "An accessory is controlled", then select the smart plug, select turns ON, select the "shower time" scene, then select the turn off after 5 minutes. And you're all done.

That way you can issue one command.....hey Siri, shower time......and the smart plug will turn on and then off again after 5 minutes.
This would not work for a WeMo plug at all - set it up - but using a Meross plug as mentioned above I set it up a routine for a 5 minute shutoff and it works like a charm.

bob2k2

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
I stumbled upon a solution! I installed the Meross smart plug and using the Meross app I can automatically turn off the connected device after a set amount of time. In the Meross app goto Routines and click the plus button to setup a routine where it automatically shuts off 2 minutes after being turned on. Bingo!
Works as you described - glad I saw this as the solution vice developing a scene as described later in this thread. It would not work with a WeMo plug after numerous attempts. This the way to go. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.