Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have a device that I need to pair with my phone to use in my snowboarding helmet to communicate with others while snowboarding. The problem is it will not pair with my phone while my AppleWatch is paired with the phone. The device needs to be the primary communication device in the Bluetooth settings, and apparently the AppleWatch is always that device. There is no way under Bluetooth settings to temporarily turn off the AppleWatch. I have a cellular AppleWatch and I want to use this device for an upcoming trip. I will be snowboarding on some days, during the trip and other times/days during the trip I would like to be able to use the AppleWatch.

1. Is there someway to unpair the AppleWatch with my phone during an upcoming 5 day trip while I will need to use this device?
2. Is there some way to just completely disconnect the AppleWatch from my phone and easily re-connect it without much hassle?
The watch is cellular, so I am not sure if it even needs to be paired with my phone?

Thanks

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
I have a device that I need to pair with my phone to use in my snowboarding helmet to communicate with others while snowboarding. The problem is it will not pair with my phone while my AppleWatch is paired with the phone. The device needs to be the primary communication device in the Bluetooth settings, and apparently the AppleWatch is always that device. There is no way under Bluetooth settings to temporarily turn off the AppleWatch. I have a cellular AppleWatch and I want to use this device for an upcoming trip. I will be snowboarding on some days, during the trip and other times/days during the trip I would like to be able to use the AppleWatch.

1. Is there someway to unpair the AppleWatch with my phone during an upcoming 5 day trip while I will need to use this device?
2. Is there some way to just completely disconnect the AppleWatch from my phone and easily re-connect it without much hassle?
The watch is cellular, so I am not sure if it even needs to be paired with my phone?

Thanks
Turn the Watch off
Hold in the side button til the SoS screen, tap the power symbol top R, slide the slider. Watch no longer connected.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: kat.hayes

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Thanks
You can unpair the watch but it's not usable unless it's paired to a phone. If you have someone else in your iCloud family you could pair the watch to that but not all features are enabled: https://support.apple.com/en-us/109036

Reactions: kat.hayes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.