Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
Hey guys, i currently did a fresh install of El Capitan beta 1 this morning, and my issue is that i don't get any updates on the app store, can you guys help me out and get me on beta 3? i was able to use a delta update and get onto beta 3 but my bluetooth would not work so currently did a full restore back to yosemite

sbarrier

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
I'm like the original poster. Installed EC today and it is Beta 1 (15A178w). Beta 3 won't show up for me in the app store. I tried the terminal command and I'm told that there's no updates available.

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
I'm like the original poster. Installed EC today and it is Beta 1 (15A178w). Beta 3 won't show up for me in the app store. I tried the terminal command and I'm told that there's no updates available.
Have you tried the delta 3 package from IMZDL? I tried that, it was glitching through installation but did work, but however my Bluetooth would not work, you can try it if any luck

sbarrier

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Have you tried the delta 3 package from IMZDL? I tried that, it was glitching through installation but did work, but however my Bluetooth would not work, you can try it if any luck

Any concerns with downloading an OS update from a 3rd party? I saw that, but wasn't sure how comfortable I was with downloading it from IMZDL.

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
Any concerns with downloading an OS update from a 3rd party? I saw that, but wasn't sure how comfortable I was with downloading it from IMZDL.
Well dude I'm not a developer, but it did work just a bit glitchy installations, just back your stuff up incase it doesn't work, so you can revert to Yosemite

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
All I'm going to say is that if you were a developer you would know that there is a workaround in apple's developer forums. And no, I'm not going to reproduce it here.

Last edited:

sbarrier

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
All I'm going to say is that if you were a developer you would know that there is a workaround in apple's developer forums. And no, I'm not going to reproduce it here.

I can assure you that I have a developer account. Could you at least provide a link to the solution?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
eternalpeasant already admitted he isn't a developer.

But there is an issue causing problems even for developers and this has now been comprehensively dealt with in apple's developer forums in several threads there.

So I though I'd mention it here because I know developers use this forum too.

Probably the simplest thread in apple's developer forums dealing with the issue is the one called "el capitan beta update not showing in software updates".

If you have access to those forums then you should not reproduce it here because if you do then you would be breaching macrumors rules (it involves links which could facilitate unauthorized access to developer beta software).

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I think you'd still have to login to post something there though.

Did you find the thread I mentioned?

You have to install firmware updates for DP2 and DP3 - something imzdl don't mention.

And imzdl also don't say you have to install DP2 before you install DP3.

If you don't install it properly (the way apple intended, not imzdl's way) then I'm not surprised if you have problems with it.

You get better information from apple's developer forums - as well as links to the official software from apple's servers, not some bogus website or torrent.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I think you'd still have to login to post something there though.

Did you find the thread I mentioned?
The forums don't require a paid developer account to post, and yes, I found the thread.

sbarrier

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
The Apple developer forums aren't hidden behind a login anymore and anyone can see them at this point. The link to the developer forums for 10.11 beta are here https://forums.developer.apple.com/community/pre-release/os-x-1011-beta

Thanks for the link. I had looked at that forum yesterday but overlooked that thread.

Using the instructions in the Apple dev forum, I was able to successfully update my brand new rMBP to EC Beta 3. Strangely enough, I have an older (2011) 15" MBP and it is updating from the App Store.

Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.