Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have an older model iPod, running on IOS 3.1.3
Would like to bring it up to date if possible.

Does anyone know how to perform an IOS update on this thing?
I cannot find a button for UPDATE in Settings.

Thanks

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have an older model iPod, running on IOS 3.1.3
Would like to bring it up to date if possible.

Does anyone know how to perform an IOS update on this thing?
I cannot find a button for UPDATE in Settings.

Thanks

Pretty sure you have to update it through iTunes on your computer.

If there is an option on your phone, it'd be under: Settings app > General > Software Update.

If it's not there, then yeah, you'll have to update by connecting to your computer and updating through iTunes.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
just tried to update through iTunes. No go.

That really sucks. I just tried to update via iTunes and it tells me that the version I have (3.1.3) is the latest and current.

I guess that this iPod Touch is not able to use any new OS

DARN!

Pretty sure you have to update it through iTunes on your computer.

If there is an option on your phone, it'd be under: Settings app > General > Software Update.

If it's not there, then yeah, you'll have to update by connecting to your computer and updating through iTunes.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
That really sucks. I just tried to update via iTunes and it tells me that the version I have (3.1.3) is the latest and current.

DARN!

Your iPod touch is the 1st gen iPod touch...so it isn't capable of running iOS 4,5,6 or 7.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

DARN!

Your iPod touch is the 1st gen iPod touch...so it isn't capable of running iOS 4,5,6 or 7.

Yep, there ya go.

Was about to edit my first post that if it's the original iPod then you're already maxed out.

lewisweekly

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Cambridge area
jailbroken?

whited00r is a solution for updating your iPhone? If you don't wish to restore though you can use my ois-theming themes compatible with ios 3-4. visit:
ois-os.webs.com
or add the source: cydia.myrepospace.com/ois-theming in cydia to get the themes from there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.