Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I am on a 12" MacBook and when I try to click on the icon to install it says it can't be installed from this disk. So I have to use the USB drive method. Does anyone know the proper way to install this from a USB drive?

Can I simply just update from 10.11 to 10.12 without having to perform a clean install first?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I am on a 12" MacBook and when I try to click on the icon to install it says it can't be installed from this disk. So I have to use the USB drive method. Does anyone know the proper way to install this from a USB drive?
Where is the app located? I'm assuming not in your Applications folder?
Can I simply just update from 10.11 to 10.12 without having to perform a clean install first?
Yes.

Coyoter Huang

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Hmm, should work from there.
[doublepost=1465886420][/doublepost]You should be able to use the createinstallmedia method just like prior versions of OS X, just substitute the path of the Sierra installer: https://support.apple.com/HT201372

It's weird. I try download the install app and put it on USB. I clicked and mac want me restart, I restart.

Then I get in my desktop, nothing happen, no setup screen appear.

Now I using the Developer Account to Download again (via app store). IDK why it's failed before.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
sudo /Applications/Install\ 10.12\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ 10.12\ Developer\ Preview.app --nointeraction

Make sure the install app is in your Applications folder and your USB is named "Untitled."

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just update from my "Documents" folder from 10.11.6 beta 2. Very fluent. No hassle.
I do make a backup before installing though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.