Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassdaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2022
I installed a 1 tb Samsung 970 evo nvme m.2 on my 2013 Mac Pro years ago. Of course when I try to upgrade to Monterey the upgrade fails due to the firmware not supported for the SSD. I've read that this can be achieved by installing an Apple ssd, do the upgrade up to the point after the firmware update, re-installing the 1 tb ssd then continuing the Big Sur upgrade. I'm not sure if the original ssd is actually a Apple version...

Is there a way to determine if the 512gb ssd is an Apple ssd visually? Or is there an easier way to upgrade?

Thanks!

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Which version of OS X the 2013 model shipped with, is it lower than high sierra? if so, you’ll need to use an oem disk to upgrade the firmware to high sierra, the. You can boot up into disk utility (with high sierra or higher so x) and install os x on your new drive

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Ah ok, looked up the versions of OS X. It’s very likely when you boot into disk utility it’s defaulting to an older version of os x (pre high sierra).

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I have no non-OEM peripherals, and I can't upgrade my '14 iMac to Monterey. fwiw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.