Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I hate to admit how upset I am that iphone 8 allows no easy option to use a song as a ringtone or alarm tone. I know it's just a ring tone, but I don't like change that is forced upon me. I really really really don't want to use canned ring tones or buy ringtones from Apple. I want to use the same beloved tunes/songs I have used for years.

Can anyone help ? So annoyed and can't help but wonder what kind of cheap money grubbing effort Apple is up to in disabling or eliminating this function.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I hate to admit how upset I am that iphone 8 allows no easy option to use a song as a ringtone or alarm tone. I know it's just a ring tone, but I don't like change that is forced upon me. I really really really don't want to use canned ring tones or buy ringtones from Apple. I want to use the same beloved tunes/songs I have used for years.

Can anyone help ? So annoyed and can't help but wonder what kind of cheap money grubbing effort Apple is up to in disabling or eliminating this function.

Here's a good step-by-step tutorial:
http://www.imore.com/ring-tones

Then, connect your phone to your computer and using iTunes, just drag the .m4r file onto the media section.

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Wait, what did they change with the iPhone 8 that made it not possible to use your own audio files as a ringtone? As far as I know, the process has always been the same.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
They changed iTunes so it is harder to manage and sync ring tones. It isn't the 8 or X it is iTunes

iOS XXX

Suspended
Nov 16, 2017
I just do it on the iPhone through GarageBand. I’ll buy the song I want for my ringtone. I’ll edit on garage band where I want it to start, and then choose to make is as a ringtone. Done. Pay for your ****.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I still find it absurd that the iPhone still can't do what flip phones could do ten years ago when it comes to ring tones. Why do you still need to get to a computer to add a ringtone?

Reactions: brgjoe

iOS XXX

Suspended
Nov 16, 2017
What makes you think she hasn’t already paid for the song? There’s no need for that last remark.

Nothing made me think that. I actually didn’t mean it to the OP and meant it to everyone in general. But the way I said did imply that it was directed to the OP so yeah, my bad on that. But to who it does concern, pay for your ****!!

Reactions: DDustiNN

iOS XXX

Suspended
Nov 16, 2017
I still find it absurd that the iPhone still can't do what flip phones could do ten years ago when it comes to ring tones. Why do you still need to get to a computer to add a ringtone?

You don’t need one. Just buy a ringtone on iTunes through your phone and viola! It’s common sense this is the only way because the company wants to make money by giving making the only option to getting a ringtone without a computer involved is by purchasing it. Sucks but for a business who’s point is to make money, seems smart.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I did it on the phone with GarageBand and didn't need the computer. I even used a recording of the subway's "ding-dong-ding-dong, 'Door's open'" announcement.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Nothing made me think that. I actually didn’t mean it to the OP and meant it to everyone in general. But the way I said did imply that it was directed to the OP so yeah, my bad on that. But to who it does concern, pay for your ****!!

No! Pirate's life for me. Yohoho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.