Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crapix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
I know it's easy to make the News app show on the home screen.
But my problem is, I live in China, when I open the News app, it says, "News isn't supported in your current region."
The only solution I find to this is to connect to a VPN server while simultaneously turn on airplane mode.
This is very tedious and disgusting, because when airplane mode is turn on, your iPhone can't make or receive calls.
By the way, it's less tedious for iPad, on iPad (Wi-Fi version), you don't need to turn on airplane mode
I wonder does anybody have a better solution?

Bilemshious

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2003
I'm in the same boat. I'm an American living in China and I cannot read the News App. I use a VPN to access other things that are blocked (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc...), but for some reason the News App doesn't go through.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Probably not possible in any other way due to both GFW as well as News.app detecting your GPS location. My China-purchased 6+ doesn't have FaceTime Audio either, because China.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I just realized: News is not out in every country. If you do have it installed due to your regional preferences set to US, it won't work because Apple restricts it by location. Same deal with a lot of Spotlight's online functionality. You can fool the network but not the GPS.

crapix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
I'm in the same boat. I'm an American living in China and I cannot read the News App. I use a VPN to access other things that are blocked (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc...), but for some reason the News App doesn't go through.
For iPhone, you must turn on airplane mode and connect to VPN server at the same time to make News app work

crapix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
I just realized: News is not out in every country. If you do have it installed due to your regional preferences set to US, it won't work because Apple restricts it by location. Same deal with a lot of Spotlight's online functionality. You can fool the network but not the GPS.
You are right. Siri and Spotlight search are de facto useless in China. Even if you turn off your location service, Apple can still identify your location by your phone's GSM. Until now, there is no solid way to hide your GSM location without turn on airplane mode.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA

What's the best working VPN service for China right now?

Reactions: jpn

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
VyprVPN is powerful, sleek, simple setup for all devices and very good customer service. Used them for almost 2 years in China with very good results.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

Express VPN.

But regarding apple's News app access in China: it is indeed apple itself that blocks its usage while in China. so no VPN can give apple News app access while in China.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Express VPN.

But regarding apple's News app access in China: it is indeed apple itself that blocks its usage while in China. so no VPN can give apple News app access while in China.

Your post makes no sense. The very purpose of using a VPN is to make the location appear to be elsewhere. So if you use a VPN server based in the US whilst in China, the News App would be fooled into thinking the location of the user was in the US, and therefor allow access in China. You really need to understand how VPN works. The comments you made are completely inaccurate.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Your post makes no sense. The very purpose of using a VPN is to make the location appear to be elsewhere. So if you use a VPN server based in the US whilst in China, the News App would be fooled into thinking the location of the user was in the US, and therefor allow access in China. You really need to understand how VPN works. The comments you made are completely inaccurate.

i appreciate your reply, thanks.

it was actually VPN Express who notified me that the app is able to detect location itself.
i do admit i do not understand how that is done.
all that i know is that using VPN in China I can access google and all other restricted sites.
all except apple News.
so, i dont understand the reason why.

thanks !

Essaye

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2020
Well, it sure is one of purposes of a proxy to hide one’s geolocation. But note that it’s done by connecting to the server via a different network other than the real client’s. If nothing on the client side leak information to the server and the proxy is configured properly, it should be that case that the server would infer the whereabouts of the client from the IP address(or cookies, UA, headers, you name it), which is actually actually the proxy sever’s.
The tricky part here, is that any iOS “app” is empowered to check the iPhone’s network connection info as long as it’s granted the permission to access internet through cellular network (as far as I’m concerned, the permission is by default turned of in China only, ironically). BTW, that’s the very same reason why Tik Tok(international version)refuse to work in China even after you use a proxy. The case is different, however, in that you can just use the web version of it which works seamlessly. You can even add it to the homescreen. Can’t really tell it from the app.
Apple News of course, is able to check the internet status. (It’s kinda becoming a standard procedure here. It does the same thing when you first activate the ECG function for Apple Watch in the Health app. Anyway, always keep in mind as a “normal” user, by which I mean who is a “normal ” person, there’s no way Apple doesn’t know(ambiguity, huh?) where you are. Legally or illegally. Ethically or not. I don’t know. They can sure apply their knowledge here. But most of the cases, as I see it , they just choose not to. And I do think that is a good idea.
Hope I could clarify a few things for you. Sorry for my writing. As a non-native speaker, I might have not precisely or clearly interpreted my thoughts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.